Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the lower ball joints, idler arm bushings and upper control arms on my 82 240d. Everything went pretty smoothly, but now the steering is tight... On jackstands, I can barely turn the wheels from side to side, and on the road the steering doesn't return to center (I have to turn the steering wheel to get it back to driving straight).

I guess I have to go back in there and undue connections, to try and narrow down where the stiffness is coming from.

Any ideas where I should look?
-I didn't do anything to the steering box, nor to the steering damper

Is there any chance this will clear up if I get an alignement?

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I can't help you to figure out where your tightness is coming from, however when you take it in for an alignment, the shop will probably know right away and have to fix it in order to properly do the alignment.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Good move on replacing the idler arm bushings. When they go, the car will wander across the road.

Not returning to center means u need an alignment. There is a website I went to but forgot where it is, it mentions what parts you can do all together in the suspension/steering systems and if they do need an alignment. When I find it again I'll post it at the Online Tech Thread.

Anything ball joint related will require an alignment though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also posted this problem on another forum. It was suggested that the new components might just need some time to break in.

So, I double checked my work, didn't find any problems, and then drove slowly down a bumpy dirt road and did some figure 8's... The steering now returns to center when I'm going at least 15 mph, but slower than this and the steering is still too stiff to return... but hopefully with a little more time, things will get better.

I have an appointment for an alignment monday morning (and won't drive the car until then).

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
96 E300D
817 Posts
kurtio - 2/10/2005 7:16 PM

I also posted this problem on another forum. It was suggested that the new components might just need some time to break in.

So, I double checked my work, didn't find any problems, and then drove slowly down a bumpy dirt road and did some figure 8's... The steering now returns to center when I'm going at least 15 mph, but slower than this and the steering is still too stiff to return... but hopefully with a little more time, things will get better.

I have an appointment for an alignment monday morning (and won't drive the car until then).

Thanks for all the help!
How did it turn out?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts