Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am brand new to this forum. Hoping someone can help. And Thank You in advance!

On my 95 SL500 something just recently happened. :( I let my wife takes the car to the kids' school, and she called me frustrated that the top won't go down.

After I checked it out: The passenger side window, which is in up position, will not go down using the center console switch. Also, my kid must have really jumped on the switch because it was sub-merged below the wooden center panel. I was able to use a tiny flat head screw driver to pull the switch up, but the associated window still won't work. The driver side window works just fine. And the soft top button will not lower the top (it is currently in up position).

Is the top issue relating to the passenger window not able to go down?
What could be wrong with the passenger window.
Is there anything I can do before givingup several hundreds to teh local Benz shops?

My thought is that even if the switch was damaged somehow, you should be able to lower the top and window using the red soft-top button. Well, that was not the case.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
ok, there has been some modifications to the mechanism over the years and I'm not 100% sure how yours should work but I believe it should work just like on my -93.
When you take the top down the windows need to first go down to ensure proper operation, so I believe the fault with your window is now preventing the soft top from functioning properly, at least from having read your description.
I once managed to burn the window fuse on mine, check if yours is ok, the fuse is in the trunk, when you open the lid, on the right hand side, under the little plastic cover, check there first before you start anything major. If its not the fuse I think it is the window switch that got some abuse. Me thinks. Hope this will help... Please let us know the end of the story...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - the fuse box is the first place I checked. No blown fuse. However, since the driver's side window still work, I didn't think it would be a burnt fuse (the windows are off the same fuse, right?)

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
a95Sl500owner said:
Hi - the fuse box is the first place I checked. No blown fuse. However, since the driver's side window still work, I didn't think it would be a burnt fuse (the windows are off the same fuse, right?)
actually i can't remember (and too lazy to check now, LOL!) so I'm not sure to be honest.. I thought they had their own fuses though... I think there was a chart in there..?

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Left and right windows use different fuses. I think the controller of your passenger window went south causing your top not to go down. Try using your key to lower the windows to see if it work. As EricFinn mentioned, your top won't go down until your windows are down.

I just dropped my car off the shop because my top won't go down ... but it's a different issue. R129 has lots of problems relate to the tops.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not due to switch

I just removed the passenger window switch and plug it into teh driver side, and it still work. Passenger window still not working. I looked and looked for blown fuse and I do not see any blown. Anything else other than the window motor?

How do I lower the window via remote?

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Putting the key in the drivers door and holding it in locked position should lower both windows. Then try the unlock position to put them back up. I have seen a few instances where the wires in the door have broken. Where they pass through the rubber boot at the door hinge.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel really stupid! I have been looking at the main fuse box and not at the auxilary fuse box in the trunk (Didn't knwo teher was one). Sure enough the left lift fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse, the window now works, and so does the top.

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts
a95Sl500owner said:
I feel really stupid! I have been looking at the main fuse box and not at the auxilary fuse box in the trunk (Didn't knwo teher was one). Sure enough the left lift fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse, the window now works, and so does the top.
:-D
At least you didn't have to take it to a shop after all..! :)
Good to hear it was just the fuse. And thanks for having the guts to tell us the rest of the story, so now the next guy will find it a bit easier when she/he wants to go topless...! ;-) :-D

·
Registered
1995 500SL
141 Posts
Hi just got the exact same problem. Asked a friend to put the top up while I was in a store and now passenger window will not work and thus the top is now stuck in the up position. I went to the trunk passenger side but where is the fuse box? I found a small black box covered with two fuses but the don't control the windows - I pulled each and the driver window still worked. There is another small box, looks like a relay with a 30amp fuse on the outside. Where do I find these window fuses? I do not have a manual and also am confused on how to "reset" windows/top etc. Thanks

·
Registered
1995 500SL
141 Posts
Found the aux fuse box in trunk above the right side windscreen cover. The window fuse was toast, replaced and all was back to normal. I am still interested in the "reset" steps even though all is ok right now - Thanks

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabrio (just got this one)
29 Posts
GreatBenz said:
I went to the trunk passenger side but where is the fuse box?
The fuse box in the trunk is beside the right trunk hinge. It is a 3-4 inch by 2 inch black plastic cover. There are a bunch of fuses under that cover.

I've read on post to reset the window operation, you roll the windows up and hold the window button in the up position for 5 seconds. That should reset the window function. But you gotta make sure it is working first.

Omar

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone advise me on a window that sticks half way up? I have a 1995 SL500. I have also seen the fuse problem. Mine happenend just before rain. Had to run into the parts store, buy a fuse and install just before a downpour!! There are two independent fuse for left and right side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Top Problems.........

Hey guys.....there's a lot of good info on here pertaining to the SL's. I'm fairly new to this. I have a garnett red SL 1995 that, I somehow, inherited. Anyway, love the car, but I have some real problems with the soft top which is presently stuck in the up position. It won't latch at the windshield; and it won't latch in the rear. The driver side window operates normally, via switch and remotely. However, the passenger side window won't do anything. Fuses are okay. Also, the red convertible top light in the center console will not go off. It's as if the top is engaged and in the middle of operation, but it won't do anything. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever tried disconnecting the battery to maybe reset the problem? Or, are there any mechanical failsafes on the car wherein you can just lower the top manually? Needing help with this. I can't even drive this dern thing in the condition that it's in......thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, 1998 SL500, (2) 1991 300SLs
4,564 Posts
The top will stop mid-cycle and go no further unless both windows are completely lowered. Also, if the car was made after November of '94 the windows must also be "synchronized", as explained in the owners manual. If you get the passenger window working, you may find the top works as well.

I would double-check the fuse in the trunk for the power window. If that is okay, I think you are going to have to get a basic multimeter and check input and output signals for the window motor at the soft top controller.

·
Registered
mercedes 190 e
5 Posts
Hi forum members

My Soft top does not have enough pressure to open but I have the tool to manualy do it. Now my passenger window is not working. Where is the soft controller. Incidently there is a box surrounded by a rubber housing that has alot of tubes coming out of it over the battery. I have checked the fuse. I think the switch is fine as I here a slight clicking sound from the rear of the car. MY red switch for opening and closing the soft top is not flashing. Any help would be appreciated.

Barry

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, 1998 SL500, (2) 1991 300SLs
4,564 Posts
Barry, if your top hydraulic system is lacking pressure, then one of your cylinders may have an internal leak or your pump may need to be replaced. The diagnostic manual for the top on the DVD explains a systematic procedure for identifying the problem, but unortunately, it requires a pressure gauge that is not easily had.

The soft top controller is under a plastic cover in the storage area behind the right seat.

For the window stuck, you should check the fuses in the box in the trunk. It is located just left of the right-side hinge for the trunk lid.

The box with the rubber is the pump for the central locking system.

·
Registered
mercedes 190 e
5 Posts
Thanks

I have checked the fuses in the trunk and both are functional I have come to this conclusion because When I press the soft top switch drivers side window retracts, passenger side window stays up, I think switches are fine because both switches cause my soft top control module to click so the switch is working. Assuming the soft top control module and switch are sending to the Passenger side window motor. It seems to me that the problem is most likely the motor or the wires. All other postings indicate a burned out fuse stopping the process from beginning. As for my soft top the hydraulic pump is full and displays no leaks I have no fluid on the ground. I have working front and rear convertible locks and my role bar works. Any other suggestions.

Barry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts