Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
e320 1998
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i got the VWH1004 Wire Harness. Soldered the respective wires, except for the phone integration and dim illumination wires. When i plugged into w210 e320, the HU powered on. There wasn't any sound from my speakers, when switching source I could hear clicking sound. I put CD in and still did not hear any sound. CAN anyone direct me to a possible solution. Thinking something to do with blue wires, read somewhere about a switch between them in this harness. Can anyone clarify? Please respond, as I am checking this forum every second...(don't like getting stuck)[:(]

·
Registered
98 e320
85 Posts
Yellow from Alpine goes to red on harness. Red from Alpine goes to yellow on harness. Blue/white from Alpine goes to blue on harness.

VOILA. Now everything should work fine.

·
Registered
e320 1998
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to second guess the advice, but did the manufacturer of the harness really mess up that bad. Do really switch the yellow and red?

·
Registered
98 e320
85 Posts
Don't take my word for it. I've done more than 25 car stereo installs over the years. The VW harness diagram is wrong for Alpine. The correct wiring is as described in my reply above. Call your local Best Buy or Circuit City. They'll tell you.

·
Registered
2006 W220 S430 and 2010 W204 C300 Sport
227 Posts
You can verify the "yellow" and "red" wires by checking if you have voltage at the correct times.

The usage for yellow and red are usually for "unswitched" and "switched" power. Ensure that each lead on your head unit is getting the power at the right time and everything should work as expected.

·
Registered
e320 1998
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, you were right about the wires. I noticed when I matched red for red, all my presets wouldn't be saved when i turned off the car. I had already switched the blue and bluewhite but had not switched the red and yellow. I just did it right now and the presets are being saved.

One small thing I noticed now is small static in the radio background. I couldn't get the harness out, seems radio is wedged in there pretty tight, so I just cut the wires in my car and then electrical taped them together. I was wondering if soldering them would eliminate that small static. Barely noticeable unless u listen for it.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Static is usually caused by the ignition system, not your wiring.

Taped wire (rather than soldered) usually causes voltage drops over time as the wire oxidizes, not pops from an intermittent connection. An exception could be speaker wires - if the clicks and pops are from one speaker only. If it's all of them, then it's probably not the stereo wiring.

The modern stereo (like Alpine) has good suppresion of voltage spikes and sags.

The pop is coming in on an antenna connection - or a wire acting as an antenna -- like a speaker wire.

I would first get the ignition system checked, and then you can try shielding and grounding wires - the long runs first.

Good luck.

PS If you are not soldering, I recommend using good quality spade or lug connectors - don't rely on twisted and taped wire.

·
Registered
98 e320
85 Posts
Check to make sure your "L" shaped antenna adapter you had to get in order for the Alpine to fit is properly seated in the antenna plug. As far as twisting and taping, I've never had any problems in the last 25 or so installations I've done, but if you want to take the time to crimp and add spade connectors, you can.
I get a very faint static on some FM stations on my Alpine. Since it doesn't happen on all stations, I suspect it has more to do with reception than anything.

·
Registered
'07 S600, '00 E320 Wagon, other
220 Posts
I've found this old thread and following the advice for Alpine installation with VW harness, I take blue-white from Alpine and want to connect to blue on harness, but there are TWO blue connectors on the VW harness (both with warning: do not use on Audi with Bose system, damage will result).

Which one of the to use? (car 2000 E class with BE3309, Alpine CDA-9856)
thanks

·
Registered
'07 S600, '00 E320 Wagon, other
220 Posts
From Alpine to VW harness:
blue/white - blue
red-yellow
yellow-red
black-black
speakers-speakers

anything else? orange-orange/white?

btw, on the first look, the yellow and orange/white going from vw harness to MB wiring have no corresponding cable in MB wiring - does it make sense? thx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts