Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 E320 4Matic.

When I place the key into the ignition, the steering wheel unlocks but my ignition does not. I tried cleaning the infrared contacts on both the key and the ignition and tried my spare key, but none of those efforts helped. I replaced my brake switch yesterday, and I am not sure if I could have disrupted something when I removed the lower panel? I did start it several times yesterday and this morning without a problem after replacing the switch.

I was hoping someone had some other suggestions. I am going to pull off that lower panel tomorrow and hope I accidentally shifted some connector, but I have a feeling I will be spending 1K for a new Electronic Ignition Switch.

Also, is the EIS a possible DIY job? I don't see any DIY guide anywhere on the topic.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried my spare key, but no luck. Tried cleaning the infrared windows again and even tried some plastic polish on one of the keys to remove the scratches from the window.

I pulled open the lower panel on the drivers side again to check if I could have displaced any wires, but it looks unlikely that I did, and I reseated the connectors I could see.

I do remember the ignition not unlocking two or three times in the past, but never thought anything of it and just pulled the key and put it back in. Perhaps the -5 F temps this winter in Boston have finally just done the part in as it did my brake switch.

The dealership is going to be calling me with a quote to replace the EIS...

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Are you really sure that you have a good battery???

Are you saying you hear the steering lock release, but you can't move the key to the next position??

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto, check the battery and/or the connections. As cold as Boston is it might have been marginal and temps pushed it over the edge.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plutoe, I do hear the steering lock release when I insert the key and it relocks when I pull the key out again.

All lights work as well, but I will check the battery connections and see if the garage I am in has a jumper battery to rule that out.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
Use a voltmeter to test the battery and report here.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Is it possible to jiggle the steering wheel a little right before you try and start it? Hardly a permanent fix but you might then be able to drive it to a shop for some diagnostics. I wouldn't be too hasty in assuming you need a new EIS.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Voltmeter reading: 12.05

I tried quite a bit of jiggling, but to no avail. I have AAA so I am going to have it towed to the shop for diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Voltmeter reading: 12.05

I tried quite a bit of jiggling, but to no avail. I have AAA so I am going to have it towed to the shop for diagnostics.
Battery is too low, no question about that. I just renewed my AAA membership, they are worth their weight in gold. Good luck and I hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I will post the results.

Now we will see if they can get a flatbed into a garage with 6' 8" clearance.

For reference, what should a new battery be reading for voltage?

·
Registered
2000 E320
211 Posts
If the battery is original, I would replace it. Low voltage battery can cause a lot of problems in our electronically controlled car. Mine went into limp mode due to low battery and caused me $150.00 more had I replaced the battery. It stored a transmission code that only an SDS or a DAS sytem can erase. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Not under load the battery should read 13.5 to 14.0 volts. Under load slightly less but never under 13.0.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Musikmann. That is good information to know.

I will have AAA hook me up to some jumpers before I have them tow me. I did try a jumper battery the garage I am stuck in had, but who knows how well it was charged.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that I think about it, low voltage could be the reason that my brake switch suddenly cut out; it finally didn't have enough juice to pass a 'hi' signal through the corroded and marred contacts on the brake switch.

I will have AAA hook me up to some jumpers and give it one more try before they tow it.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
I can barely able to start my Porsche engine with 12.25V/48 months old battery inside my garage at 50F. I am charging it with a 13.6V auto charger for 2 hrs now.I will charge it for another 2 hrs and test the battery tomorrow. If the charge in the battery drops back to 12.25V, I will buy a new one before it damage my alternator. Battery should able to maintain 12.57-12.7 or above even the car is parked for a week.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4MATIC
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AAA tried jumping me, but it didn't help, and I ended up waiting over nine hours to finally get out of the garage and for them to get the correct truck out there to get me to the shop that was on a highway. It was quite a fiasco. Apparently 6'8" clearance and AWD didn't sink in...

Car is waiting to be diagnosed, and I will post an update when I find out anything more.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,031 Posts
If the jump didn't help -you might have a problem with key recognition system. Hope not, since those things are not cheap.
The battery sitting in the garage should read about 12.5 V, while 13.5 is charging voltage.
Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts