Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had B service done on my 2001 ML 270 CDI. I had my glow light coming on after I start the engine but it would go off after 40 sec. I told that to the mechanic and after checking everything he said that one of my (5th) glow plugs is not working. He tried to replace all five of them but he couldn't remove plugs on 4th and 5th cylinder because they are stuck. He also said that the car is working on 4 glow plugs and that I'm better off leaving it the way it is cause if the plugs shears it's gonna cost me a lot of money to fix the car. The only thing now is, after I start the car the glow light comes on and stays on and it doesn't go off until I turn off the ignition and when I start again it comes up and goes off after 40 seconds. I don't know what to do. Can somebody explain what is going on, how and where can I fix the problem and how much are we talking about? I live in Ireland if you can recommend anyone. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
This is not good news. When spark plugs are seized in the head, removing them causes the threads in the cylinder head to strip. Drilling and tapping cannot be done because it is very difficult to remove all the metal filings, which can damage the valves and piston. So that head would have to be removed and sent to a machine shop and have them drill, tap and insert the proper HeliCoil.

Removing the head will be expensive, in excess of $1,500, and should be done at the dealer unless you have your own mechanic who knows what he is doing. If you decide to have someone try removing the plugs and they strip the threads, your truck will be laid up for weeks. Also I would suggest that you apply a zinc based Anti Seize compound to the remaining good plugs so this does not happen again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This is a known problem and attempting to remove a 'stuck' glowplug can result in the cyl head having to be removed. If you are in the UK go onto the 'Mercedes-benz owners forums' where you will find indies who have special equipment to remove the plugs.

glow plug stuck - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

·
Registered
514 Posts
Alem, You remind me of the times when i've entered a building and held the door open for a stranger behind me to enter and then they just walk on through without any acknowledgement whatsoever!..........i directed you to another forum for advice on your problem and i see you have now posted your query on it and, as a result, received good advice.

Any time i have posted a problem on a bb or asked for advice i have always expressed my gratitude for any response and it really is frustrating to have other folks, like yourself, who take but dont give!

Rant over!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alem, You remind me of the times when i've entered a building and held the door open for a stranger behind me to enter and then they just walk on through without any acknowledgement whatsoever!..........i directed you to another forum for advice on your problem and i see you have now posted your query on it and, as a result, received good advice.

Any time i have posted a problem on a bb or asked for advice i have always expressed my gratitude for any response and it really is frustrating to have other folks, like yourself, who take but dont give!

Rant over!

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. Be a man!!!!!:crybaby2:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks to those for the support.....

It's obvious i was spot on about the ignorant user 'Alem', remember his name guys next time he cries for help, at least now you know what to expect in return for your time.

I blame poor upbringing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to those for the support.....

It's obvious i was spot on about the ignorant user 'Alem', remember his name guys next time he cries for help, at least now you know what to expect in return for your time.

I blame poor upbringing.
Mate you need to grow up, seriously. You are a sad sad man. I didn't even have a chance to say thank you. I hadn't logged on for days. You're probably one of those computer weirdos that has no life. Now, I understand the reaction of other users but they reacted on my quote. Nobody started to cry because I didn't say thank you. Normal People don't expect anything in return. That's why we're all here. It doesn't matter what you say or do I'll still be able to use this site and give and receive help. So my advice is that you get over yourself and grow up. Thank you!
Alem

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wow, you really are a nasty piece of work!

I just looked on the site i directed you to (link below) and you received 4 replies offering help and advice...........To date, you haven't acknowledged any of those "computer wierdos" who tried to help you either! .....None of us are here to look for anything in return other than the common courtesy of a simple 'thank-you'

Stuck Glow Plug on 2001 ML 270 CDI - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Poor upbringing confirmed!

·
Premium Member
16,769 Posts
Wow, you really are a nasty piece of work!

I just looked on the site i directed you to (link below) and you received 4 replies offering help and advice...........To date, you haven't acknowledged any of those "computer wierdos" who tried to help you either! .....None of us are here to look for anything in return other than the common courtesy of a simple 'thank-you'

Stuck Glow Plug on 2001 ML 270 CDI - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Poor upbringing confirmed!
Well it seems that your earlier suspicions are not without foundation.

·
Administrator
8,710 Posts
Glow plug down

I've had the glow plug warning light on for a few days and this afternoon I fired up my Star SDS C4 system that returned " Faulty Glow Plug Cylinder 5".

I've not attempted to remove it yet, but as I usually do, I checked our forum for tips and advice when I ran into this thread.
I followed the link to David Pemberton's glow plug removal advice which I shall be following, especially spraying the penetrating oil each day for a week before removing it.

I don't know if he's still around but that ignorant, uncouth idiot Alem epitomises the sort of member we can do without!

·
Purple Moderator
21,709 Posts
I have a feeling you will be fine with yours. I am sure you have also read to do it when the engine is warm.

Even better news...Alem has not logged in in close to four years.

·
Administrator
8,710 Posts
I have a feeling you will be fine with yours. I am sure you have also read to do it when the engine is warm.

Even better news...Alem has not logged in in close to four years.
Yes, I read all of those tips and thank our community for their invaluable help to keep our vehicles running and maintained in tip-top order.
I'm beginning the daily penetrating oil treatment as from tomorrow, then to try to remove the faulty glow plug with a warm engine next week.
I've not asked at my local spares store, but the reference number I've seen online is for an NGK Y-745U

I too checked on that fool Alem and noted his last post. Hopefully he has now bought an ageing Toyota and is worrying their forums :)

·
Administrator
8,710 Posts
I took off the top engine covers today to start spraying the glowplug with penetrating oil.

AAAhhh! it would have to be the #5 glowplug :(
It looks to be a big job to remove it. The coolant reservoir will have to be removed and that looks like the easy part. The common rail connections or sensors all seem to be around that glowplug too.
I couldn't even see the glowpug to spray it, I just pointed and squirted hoping that some of the spray went somewhere near.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I took off the top engine covers today to start spraying the glowplug with penetrating oil.

AAAhhh! it would have to be the #5 glowplug :(
It looks to be a big job to remove it. The coolant reservoir will have to be removed and that looks like the easy part. The common rail connections or sensors all seem to be around that glowplug too.
I couldn't even see the glowpug to spray it, I just pointed and squirted hoping that some of the spray went somewhere near.
Hi Redliner,
It's not as bad a job as it looks to access number 5 glowplug, just open the hood to its maximum (vertical) height using the 2nd set of gas strut ball links.
Don't remove the coolant reservoir completely, just take out the 2 x 10mm nuts and swing the reservoir to one side. The most important part is to have the engine at maximum working temp, when you attempt to remove the plug use light pressure initially, you have to use judgement on how much torque to apply as there is a risk of the glowplug 'shearing' (leaving the threaded part of it stuck in the head)
If the plug won't loosen then its best left alone rather than risk it shearing (which is a common occurance)
Its worth mentioning that occasionally a shorted glowplug can cause one of the 5 fusible links in the glowplug relay to blow..... dismantling the relay and soldering a new fuse over the blown link solves that problem rather than buying a new relay.

·
Administrator
8,710 Posts
Hi Redliner,
It's not as bad a job as it looks to access number 5 glowplug, just open the hood to its maximum (vertical) height using the 2nd set of gas strut ball links.
Don't remove the coolant reservoir completely, just take out the 2 x 10mm nuts and swing the reservoir to one side. The most important part is to have the engine at maximum working temp, when you attempt to remove the plug use light pressure initially, you have to use judgement on how much torque to apply as there is a risk of the glowplug 'shearing' (leaving the threaded part of it stuck in the head)
If the plug won't loosen then its best left alone rather than risk it shearing (which is a common occurance)
Its worth mentioning that occasionally a shorted glowplug can cause one of the 5 fusible links in the glowplug relay to blow..... dismantling the relay and soldering a new fuse over the blown link solves that problem rather than buying a new relay.

Many thanks Alphonso, a really informative and useful reply.

I'll warm up the engine , then attempt to remove the number 5 glowplug and fit the new NGK glowplug,
Hopefully there wont be any horror stories!! I'll set a torque wrench to around 20Nm and try to remove the glowplug. I'll post back in with news of the task which should be in the next few days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts