Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys

I bought my w208 230 kompressor convertible last week and the EC button is stuck on the auto climate control.
The thing makes all the right noises etc, but doesnt actually do a lot temperature wise.
Its either luke warm or coldish when i adjust the settings.
It doesnt feel Air conditioned at all when i set it on cold.
It takes ages to de-mist the front screen and is generally useless.
I think the stuck EC button is to blame, but i could be wrong.
The orange light wont go out on the auto climate control.
The auto button doesnt make a lot of difference either, so i have to adjust the fan speed manually.
It does warm up and cool the cabin eventually, but im generally at my destination by then.
Do the w208 have an air con system that needs re-charging?

Any ideas anyone?

Much Appreciated

Rich

Summer is coming and i have no aircon....

·
Registered
1 Posts
The EC button isn't stuck. It is an indicator that your ac needs service. usually little or no freon. take it to a qualified ac repair shop and they can fix the problem.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hope this answer helps

lol...

This is a very common issue with our cars. The EC button is actually a switch that turns off/on your compressor.

for example if you wanted to drive fuel efficiently or maybe with the windows down, you would want that light to be on thus having your compressor off.

Basically, and from what i have learned... nobody has found a solution to this.

I believe it to be within that control unit itself. NOT a problem with your A/C system

BUT there is hope. On a thread posted a while back on here, i found that before starting the car, turn the key to the third position ( as if you were going to start it... or even starting it wouldnt hurt) but then turn it back and take the key out. Now start it normally.

you will find that the EC button will now turn off when pressed.

yes, eventually it gets tedious... but Im sure the stealership will charge you an arm and a leg to hook it up to a diagnostic test

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think I should clarify this for you - I have also checked this with my guy at Mercedes Benz.

Firstly, the button itself is an "economy" button and not an "air conditioning" button.

With this in mind, when the red light is on, it is in "economy" mode which means that it just gives you "normal air" (as I call it).

When you push the button, the red light goes out to indicate that "economy" mode if now off. This means that it will now give you "conditioned" air.

In my opinion, it IS actually the wrong way round. I think that they should have made it an "air-con" button where the red light comes on, to indicate that you have selected "air-conditioning" and go off to indicate that you have selected just "normal air" (or that "air-con" is off).

I mean, why do you need to be reminded that "economy" mode has been selected?? :dunno::dunno:-

it would make more sense to remind you that "air-con" has been selected in case fuel consumption is a concern.

.......However, if you have a situation where the red light is staying on regardless of how many times you push it, you may well have a problem. Also, if air is not very cold when air-con is selected (or when the red light is off) then you may need to have your air-con recharged - I had this done... it was cheap and made alot of difference.

Anyway, hope this has helped.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think I should clarify this for you - I have also checked this with my guy at Mercedes Benz.

Firstly, the button itself is an "economy" button and not an "air conditioning" button.

With this in mind, when the red light is on, it is in "economy" mode which means that it just gives you "normal air" (as I call it).

When you push the button, the red light goes out to indicate that "economy" mode if now off. This means that it will now give you "conditioned" air.

In my opinion, it IS actually the wrong way round. I think that they should have made it an "air-con" button where the red light comes on, to indicate that you have selected "air-conditioning" and go off to indicate that you have selected just "normal air" (or that "air-con" is off).

I mean, why do you need to be reminded that "economy" mode has been selected?? :dunno::dunno:-

it would make more sense to remind you that "air-con" has been selected in case fuel consumption is a concern.

.......However, if you have a situation where the red light is staying on regardless of how many times you push it, you may well have a problem. Also, if air is not very cold when air-con is selected (or when the red light is off) then you may need to have your air-con recharged - I had this done... it was cheap and made alot of difference.

Anyway, hope this has helped.

that is true... and by economy, the mean "fuel efficient" ie. compressor is off.

hence why the air isnt cold... the compressor is what actually "cools" the air...

also would explain how this wouldnt be a problem with your AC system... but in the controls and/or switch/ and or fuse or sensor or something electrical itself

·
Registered
791 Posts
that is true... and by economy, the mean "fuel efficient" ie. compressor is off.

hence why the air isnt cold... the compressor is what actually "cools" the air...

also would explain how this wouldnt be a problem with your AC system... but in the controls and/or switch/ and or fuse or sensor or something electrical itself
Yes, quite right!

·
Registered
1 Posts
lol...

This is a very common issue with our cars. The EC button is actually a switch that turns off/on your compressor.

for example if you wanted to drive fuel efficiently or maybe with the windows down, you would want that light to be on thus having your compressor off.

Basically, and from what i have learned... nobody has found a solution to this.

I believe it to be within that control unit itself. NOT a problem with your A/C system

BUT there is hope. On a thread posted a while back on here, i found that before starting the car, turn the key to the third position ( as if you were going to start it... or even starting it wouldnt hurt) but then turn it back and take the key out. Now start it normally.

you will find that the EC button will now turn off when pressed.

yes, eventually it gets tedious... but Im sure the stealership will charge you an arm and a leg to hook it up to a diagnostic test
I just used this... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, quite right!

This is actually not right at all. EC mode runs the system at lower pressure. Lower pressure means less cooling overall, but also less running of the compressor to keep it at said pressure. Hence, economy mode. This is all when the system is working correctly.

If the light comes on on its own, it is the system cutting pressure in response to low freon in an effort to protect the compressor. The A/C in MB's store fault codes just like the engine/transmission codes. In order to properly get the EC light off, one needs to correct whatever the problem is with the A/C system (fixing leak or sensor, and if the freon is low/has been low then do the math, it went somewhere, there is a leak), then clear the codes with Star Diag. It will then be permanently fixed.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
This is actually not right at all. EC mode runs the system at lower pressure. Lower pressure means less cooling overall, but also less running of the compressor to keep it at said pressure. Hence, economy mode. This is all when the system is working correctly.

If the light comes on on its own, it is the system cutting pressure in response to low freon in an effort to protect the compressor. The A/C in MB's store fault codes just like the engine/transmission codes. In order to properly get the EC light off, one needs to correct whatever the problem is with the A/C system (fixing leak or sensor, and if the freon is low/has been low then do the math, it went somewhere, there is a leak), then clear the codes with Star Diag. It will then be permanently fixed.
+1:thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts

Your EC light is stuck on because the compressor has been permanently turned off because of a problem (probably low refrigerant).

You can tell the level of refrigerant by pressing both auto buttons (left and right) for 5 seconds while both temps are at 72 degress, and it will go into diagnostic mode. The left side of the display will tell you a number (1 to 47/48 where each # represents a certain reading), #7 is the level/PSI of the refrigerant. Use the left AUTO button to scroll to #7, and read the value on the right side. Anything above 10 is good, 0 means no refrigerant.

You can get the error codes on the climate control by turning on the car before you start the engine. Within 30 seconds, have the left side be on LO and the right side on HI then press the EC & REST button for 5 seconds. The auto buttons will scroll to the different error codes. To erase the error codes, press the REST button for 5 seconds (I think this is the button). The EC light should be able to be turned off, if the problem is still there then the EC light will eventually get stuck again to indicate there is a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts