Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230 Komp
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what are my options as far as replacing the stock Struts and Shocks. I am not really sure what the car should feel like with new shocks. I mean I have seen Bilstein struts, and they come in "comfort, sport, heave-duty" options. So which one should I opt for? Also for example if I go over a speed bump sometimes the rear end bottoms out and I hear a thud sound. I am not sure whether I need new springs or is it possible to upgrade to a stiffer rear shock?

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Bilstien struts and shocks are probably your best choice. The Comforts are designed to replace the OEM units and deliver a slightly firmer, but more traditional Mercedes "ride." The Heavy Duty (HD) are valved along the lines of Mercedes Sportline units and might be considered as a performance upgrade, with some sacrifice in low speed dampening. The Sports are strictly designed for cars that have been lowered with lowering springs. Shorter springs put more stress on the damper, due in part to the shorter stroke, and lowering without changing to the proper absobers is a sure way to reduce the life of any strut or shock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts