Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newby DIYer and have a question about replacing the strut mounts in my 1991 190e 2.3. I've owned the car for 8 years and the struts/shocks have not been replaced in that time but I believe they were replaced shortly before I purchased the car. There is nothing "wrong" with how the car drives or the suspension system in general but when I recently was working under the hood I noticed large cracking in the metal of the driver's side front strut mount. I can't afford right now to replace the struts but would like to replace these mounts as I believe this is a safety issue. My question is: Is this a job that can be done without a lift or other large tools (i.e. spring compressor)? Any pointers on replacement brands or techniques on installation? Right now all I have is a socket set so tools are limited. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
All you need is a socket, a wrench, and an allen wrench (forget the sizes though). No special toold required.
Just take off the nut holding in the strut, and then take the three that are holding on the mount off. Then just push the mount down and pull it off the strut.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, great, sounds like a pretty simple job...thanks for the info. Anyone have advice on what brand to get? Looks like autohausaz.com has only Meyle HDs but partsgeek has a wide variety including Bielsteins that other users have written positive things about. Thanks.

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6; 2010 Porsche Boxster; 2009 Mini Clubman
72 Posts
I just replaced all 4 around the car for $280, Biltstein comforts. It DRAMATICALLY improved the ride. I believe he ones on there were all original from 1989.

I replaced the front mounts and were about $90.00 for Monroe. The OEM Benz mounts were about $120 through mylocal dealer. Those were quite easy to replace and highly recommend it.

As for the wrenches, get a 22MM box end wrench (it works the best to get down in there) ad a 7MM allen holds the strut in place as you loosen the strut.

Also - keep in mind all of the nuts on these shocks are locking, so the are one time use. You will need to get a new 22MM locking nut for the mount if you are not replacing the strut. You should replace these in pairs as well.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
I got Bilstein sports for 400 bucks all around. My front strut mounts are some off brand I'm pretty sure. I went for cheap and quick delivery since I had one blown strut and it was wreaking havoc on handling and the poor spring was not happy it was alone. I had to drill out the hole the top of the strut goes into on one of them cause it was a hair too small. They seem to be holding up well though and felt pretty heavy duty, just sorta mass produced.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
I got KYB front struts for $220. Deffinatly not the best around, but they get the job done. Saw a set for front + rear on ebay the other day for like $150.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts