Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my front right strut plastic cover has torn as you can see in the picture. Should I do anything or leave it alone?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
What's broken is just a dust cover with no function, however it is a good idea to keep inside clean from road debris and splashing because water could accumulate on lower part, you could wrap it with something that is flexible, wrap and stitch leather or flexible non porous heat tolerant vinyl or sealed fabric on both ends after removing weak areas and paint it with adhesive to seal it. I don't believe they sell that cover separate.

Even better, if there is a leak and your car is high mileage, just replace the whole thing :)

Or if you wanna be smarty about it, you could buy a bad strut from eBay with intact cover and just replace cover and re-sell strut to Arnott for $300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks COBRA, I checked the others and all 4 are torn. :(

Still looking for a solution, other than just leaving it to fate.

What's broken is just a dust cover with no function, however it is a good idea to keep inside clean from road debris and splashing because water could accumulate on lower part, you could wrap it with something that is flexible, wrap and stitch leather or flexible non porous heat tolerant vinyl or sealed fabric on both ends after removing weak areas and paint it with adhesive to seal it. I don't believe they sell that cover separate.

Even better, if there is a leak and your car is high mileage, just replace the whole thing :)

Or if you wanna be smarty about it, you could buy a bad strut from eBay with intact cover and just replace cover and re-sell strut to Arnott for $300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I came up empty searching the net for replacement strut boots/covers for my 07 SL550. Fortunately though, I know German so I started weeding through German sites as this problem surely must exist in the fatherland as well.

I came across the following site which in detail lists part numbers and backwards compatibility of certain parts, confirmed by a member from another forum, which I probably cannot name here.

So here it goes, this is the info I was able to gather:

Rear strut covers: They are (reportedly) the same for all SL 230 and 231 models. The part number, available as of May 2012, is 230-328-00-92. There are 2 snap rings that hold the covers in place, and their part number is 003-994-12-40.

Front strut covers: (reportedly) the lower strut cover for R231 models is backwards compatible with ALL R230 models. The part number is 231-327-00-92. On the above linked site under 1.2 you can find photos comparing the original strut covers (the ones you cannot get a direct replacement for) and the R231 covers. There is one difference, as in the bottom opening is larger and shorter, and the word is that this "exposes" more of the lower aluminum "spring plate", and the recommendation is to spray the exposed area of the spring plate with "spray wax" (not sure exactly what is meant with this but maybe someone can chime in). The upper clamp is part number 001-995-06-35 and the lower one 001-995-07-35, however they say you can use stainless steel screw clamps if you want.

Below is a screenshot of the parts I just ordered. I hope this helps someone, and I will certainly report back once the parts are installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
A while back I did my front right boot based on the part numbers listed by the original German/Austrian guy (in German at OLDTIMER: Tipps für Mercedes SL55AMG or translated to English at https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hehlhans.de/sl55amg-abc2.htm). BTW, that's a great page and it'll disappear someday so I recommend printing a PDF and filing in in your SL55 folder...

As he indicated, the solution for the front was to order the boot for the R231 strut (2313270092) which isn't as long and doesn't have the taper at the bottom so it leaves more of the bottom of the strut exposed. As I recall, it was just aluminum that was exposed (no internals) but I ended up cutting the tapered bottom of the original strut boot off and putting it back in place, pulling the new boot over the top of that so they overlapped at the bottom (would have preferred to overlap the other way but has to go this way because of the molded seat for the clamp on the new boot), and then buying a universal crimp-clamp kit where you can make your own clamp of any size to fit that went over both boots together. The clamp kit was: MOOG 3401 CV Boot Crimp Clamp Kit. Probably overkill but it is functionally equivalent to the original one now and looks a lot better than a screw clamp which is also an option. The stock upper clamp worked: 0019950635 - you need CV boot clamp pliers similar to Lisle 30800 (avail on amzn). If you choose to not do it my way and just use the shortened boot, the stock lower clamp should work: 0019950735

To get those struts released from the bottom (you don't have to release the top as I recall as the boot slides on from the bottom), I tried for hours without success - broke one jaw puller trying and the others all would pull off because there's not much of a shoulder for the jaw puller to grip against and it's a bit tapered. I tried heat, "gentle hammering" :^), etc. This was the solution: "EverTough 2/3 Jaw Puller Attachment #67036". I "rented" this from O'Reilly Auto Parts (physical store) and it worked so well I just kept it and gave up the $50-60 deposit (actually, not a bad price). It's a much sturdier design and it has a unique tapered screw that keeps the jaws from popping off.

I expect the rears to work as per the German guy's / kaigoss' advice so I'm buying those parts today - just saw that my right rear was torn... Per kaigoss in Post 4 above:Rear strut covers: They are (reportedly) the same for all SL 230 and 231 models. The part number, available as of May 2012, is 230-328-00-92. There are 2 snap rings that hold the covers in place, and their part number is 003-994-12-40.

Probably take me a few weeks before all is done but I'll to remember to come back and post that it was successful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks so much for the write up Ruprik & kaigoss. I suspect that I'll be doing this for all 4 corners in late summer. I looked up all the parts on MBPartsCenter and will order in a few weeks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just did mine with the R231 boots. Very easy job.

I started by popping loose the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle to gain access to the lower strut connection point. Using an OTC service tool I popped the tapered fitting of the strut from the lower control arm. I loosened the three nuts on the top of the strut to allow the strut to pull away from the LCA for more room.

Before placing the boots on the struts I removed the old taper and a few of the bellows and slid the tapered portion from the bottom of the old boot into the new boot. I aligned the bellows inside to match the new boot.

I slid the new boot on using some tire shine as a lubricant. The upper clamp worked fine. For the lower clamp I used some .041" aviation safety wire doubled up and twisted it on. It looks vey clean and holds perfectly.

Going to try to post the two pics of the boot adaptation.

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
Would you happen to have the part numbers from r231? I need to do this to mine as well.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ill need to do this to my 2011 R230 soon. I put this together based on @ruprik posts in this thread. Hopefully I accumulated all the part numbers and links accurately. Take a look..

Front Dust Cover 2313270092
Rear Dust Cover 230-328-00-92
Rear snap ring need 4 003-994-12-40
Front Upper Clamp 0019950635
Front Lower Clamp 0019950735

And checked a part source for pricing ...

https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-dust-cover-2313270092
https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-dust-cover-2303280092
https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-dust-cover-snap-ring-0039941240
https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-dust-cover-clamp-0019950635
https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-dust-cover-clamp-0019950735
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-30800-Boot-Clamp-Pliers/dp/B0002SREPY

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You beat me to it lol! Very thorough list :thumbsup:

You can't use the bottom clamp if you slip part of the old boot into the new one to extend it. It will be too small. I used aviation safety wire doubled up and it worked great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For anyone interested, I purchased 4 new strut covers (boots) and I have them available for sale, since I sold the car. PM me for details.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
kaigoss
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing