Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

My rear brake pads and rotors need changing. Decided to have a go myself but I have hit a snag!

My rear rotor won't come off. I tried perswading it with a hammer to no joy. Read up on this forum and found I need to release the parking brake. I'm assuming this was the foot brake?

I went back out to the car, released this parking brake and started to perswade the rotor to come off again. This time the rotor moves. Yeh!

The problem I have is that the rotor can turn freely and I can pull it forward away from the drum, but I can't pull it off. When I let go it springs back.
I spoke to a friend at work and he thinks I'm pulling against the parking brake shoes. He said to just adjust the brake to wind the shoes in and try again.

Is he right and if so how can I adjust them?

Thanks

Lee.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You didn't mention it above so I have to ask...did you remove the hex screw that holds the rotor on? I just did my brakes about a month ago and was able to get the rotor off with a couple of swift hits of a hammer and didn't have to touch the emergency brake.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
if you can turn the rotor I doubt the pkg. brake shoes are holding it on. +1 what Ryan said.

the pkg. brake is adjusted with a star adjuster, which is typical for German cars. it is adjusted by looking into the hole in the rear disc with a flashlight, rotating disc until you see the star adjuster, and turning the star with a screwdriver. I wouldn't do that though because I doubt it's your problem.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The lip edge on the ebrake drum (built into rotor) is what is hanging you up. Either try to adjust it down (almost impossible) or use a puller and hope for the best.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
OK, it sounds like you have it broken loose from the hub so it's the E-brake shoes that are holding it in place. You will need to remove the rubber dust cover on the back of the hub and then use a screwdriver to spin the star wheel adjuster to loosen the pads. The adjuster will turn easily one way, which (unfortunately) will tighten the shoes. You might be able to turn it the opposite direction to loosen the shoes, but there is an auto-adjuster that will try to lock against the teeth on the star wheel. You might try pressing it back away from the star wheel with another screwdriver. Sometimes, you will be able to get the star wheel to turn one tooth at a time, though. Just do this until the shoes are loose enough so that the drum will pass over them.

BTW, this is a common problem with drum brakes. Fortunately, modern cars only use them for the E-brake. In the "good old days", this was always a problem as the shoes would wear grooves into the drums.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts