Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a Mercedes Benz 500se for about 3 months. It is an 1981 model V8 and apart from sucking down the petrol it is a pretty awesome car, and great for my first car, all class. The only problem, Which I have quickly realised is that I know little to nothing about cars, and it seems anyone I know who does know about cars knows nothing about mercedes.

The problem started after I ran out of petrol a while ago, as soon as I put more into it ir idled really rough, and the revs where down. I didn't get it looked at the time because I was broke, but I guessed that I sucked some crap from the fuel tank into the injectors. I put an injector cleaner fluid in it a few days later and it didn't seem to do much, but it's idling better now. The only thing that is killing me is this horrible smell of petrol in and outside of the car. I think it's mainly outside.

I can't keep driving with it because it makes me smell and nausous. It happens sporadicly but usually after I fill up. I have been putting premium in it but this dosn't seem to do much. he;lp

Thanks

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
yeah, try some lubro moly jectron fule additive. this stuff i really concentrated. Where do you live. some tell me the grade of gas in some states are not up to par as they should be.

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1973 Buick Riviera
367 Posts
Also check for leaking fuel pumps... My 560 smelled like unburned gasoline (outside the car) for as long as I could remember... I figured it was normal for a car of that age, seeing as how most of the other cars that are that old that I've been around do too... Turns out the seals around both of the fuel pumps were leaking. This partially explains the 11-13mpg I was getting too...

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Check your fuel lines, their are 2, one out of the fuel tank, one back to the fuel tank... The leak my be twards the injector pump assembly area. It may be small enugh not to notice a stream of fuel dripping down to the ground, but enough to make a small pool somwhere... Also check the fuel fill area. Also change the fuel filters, bottoming out a tank can clog them up... which could also cause a leake.. Good Luck on your Mission...

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Check the EHA valve assembly located on the fuel distributor, its seals are known to leak fuel and if it’s malfunctioning it may cause a rough idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts