Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1978 230
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquired a '78 230 with the stromberg 175 cd carb. It previously had a problem with an adjustment screw that is in the bottom of the float chamber. I think it adjusts something to do with the gas/air mixture. That origional one dropped out on the road never to be seen again. A very clever guy (my dad) machined a new one, having no luck finding a replacement. The car runs and I drove it from Souix Falls SD to Boise ID. It is however running rather rich and I can't seem to get it to thin out at all. My question is wether any one has successfully replaced the stromberg with an aftermarket job, and wether that makes sense?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
i wonder if you could use a earlier version 175 carb from the early 70 s .the early ones where much simpler and reliable ???????

·
Registered
1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
420 Posts
How much work do you want to do? If you are willing to spend the time, you could change to efi by using a tbi throttle body and megasquirt to control it.

you would need a tbi off gm's 4 cylinder from the 80's, a air intake sensor, engine temp sensor, higher pressure fuel pump, vacuum line and the megasquirt. It's been done several times.

just a thought

--brett

·
Registered
1978 230
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im interested in the efi conversion. Is there a thread or some one's documentation of what went into it? I'm willing to do some work but mostly I want the car to be reliable for my daughter and son.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problems adjusting my w124 200. Some smart guy replaced my middle and piston. And now it’s too rich. Would love to get another carb because of it performance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts