Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install a mercedes dealer wheel lock and felt some resistance even with a little bit of lube. Took it out and saw the first 3 threads are stripped with some shavings...DAMN they gave me the wrong locks!! So I took it that the threading on the hub is messed up as well. Now I'm riding with 4 good bolts and one shortie just hanging on. Anyone know how to remedy this? Is there a way I can re-thread the stripped hole? Around how much would a new hub cost at the dealer?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,241 Posts
Your best bet really is to replace the hub, if it's truly stripped.

On a CLK320, the hu...

Your best bet really is to replace the hub, if it's truly stripped.

On a CLK320, the hubs are just W202 parts, so they shouldn't be more than $120 each (front or rear). On a CLK55, the rear hubs are R129 (SL) parts, and are quite a bit more costly.

Replacing the hubs is a little bit involved (it requires removing the bearings and repacking them). If you've not repacked wheel or hub bearings before, I suggest you don't learn on your CLK and leave it to a mechanic.

-s-

·
Registered
CLK 320
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took care of the stripped hub!! Here's how...

Went to a shop nearby. The mechanic took off the wheel only...not the brake rotor. He had a 12mmx1.50 THREADED HOLE TAP that attaches to a ratchet. Using WD-40, he really worked the hole over and over and finally re-threaded it all the way through the hub. After the job, the lugs bolted in just fine!! And I didn't need to use a larger bolt. He went even further to clean up the other holes in the hub...just in case. I'm planning on going to SEARS or somewhere and buy that same tap myself. Seemed easy enough for all do-it-yourselfers. The tap is designed with grooves so that it catches all the tiny metal shavings. So it's best to wipe it in between each tap. Saved me a whole lot of dough!! Hope this info helps some of you out there.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,241 Posts
Re: Took care of the stripped hub!! Here's how...

Went to a shop nearby. The mechanic took off the wheel only...not the brake rotor. He had a 12mmx1.50 THREADED HOLE TAP that attaches to a ratchet. Using WD-40, he really worked the hole over and over and finally re-threaded it all the way through the hub. After the job, the lugs bolted in just fine!! And I didn't need to use a larger bolt. He went even further to clean up the other holes in the hub...just in case. I'm planning on going to SEARS or somewhere and buy that same tap myself. Seemed easy enough for all do-it-yourselfers. The tap is designed with grooves so that it catches all the tiny metal shavings. So it's best to wipe it in between each tap. Saved me a whole lot of dough!! Hope this info helps some of you out there.
Beware! This only removes metal, so it hasn't really solved your problem. Your bolt threads in nicely, yes, but it is not held in as well as it was before. So, you aren't getting the holding power you did before. And, your lug may eventually strip again.

Regardless, four lugs hold the wheel on pretty well, so glad that you saved some cash.

-s-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts