Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like everyone and his dog has stretched their 404 or 406/416 (roundcab). Has anyone stretched a Square cab??What would a person run into problem wise, if they wanted to stretch a 1300L cab 24"-36", besides the deck and other obvious things?
Thanks
G Vavra

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
I've never streached one, but I have had the structure apart on enough of these cabs that I personally don't think that it would be a problem. THe thing is basically a box anyway, so the only real issues I would see is tying into the two floor members and the shape of the floor, but it really doesn't look like it would be much more trouble than streaching a 406/416 cab (I would think less since there are less complexed curves in the body lines).

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Here's my .15 cents. It's actually not that hard. What you need to do is make sure you have all the right tools first and your a good welder or have some experience with structure. I'd leave your door pillar alone and cut right behind the pillar and push back the back of the cab to the desired distance. Top too that way you don't need to redo the gutters ect.

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
There are some "Short DoKA " body panels shown in some of the MB parts books that I have, which would make the bodywork problems much easier to solve. I would expect those panels to still be available, but there is no guarantee.

I know that one way that a " Short DOKA " is made in Europe is to start
with a regular DOKA and shorten it down. That is how I came by my new
DOKA rear doors (Ben-still holding on to them... ). I'm not sure why this approach is taken , but I know of maybe 1/2 dozen cases.

I would expect that some of the French Short DOKA fire trucks were
factory built with or without MB sheetmetal- they obviously have the ability to do it from scratch. Their rear doors use non stock hinges and so on.

MEREX took a standard, EX-BW U1300L and made a DOKA out of it with factory sheetmetal.It looked great, and they were addressing the relative shortage of DOKAs on the market, but they did it just the one time, as far as I know.

The Finstral Rally truck started life as a DOKA, and wound up as a Super-cab.You can see the hinges and the latch mounting for the rear doors in the cage photo.

If I were to do it, and I had a standard cab, I'd check with a resourceful dealer in Germany, or the US and check on the availability and price on the
Short DOKA panels. I'm in LA and soon going to Denver on a job, and I
believe my parts books are in Montana, but when I get a chance, I'll try
and scan and post, unless Sean or somebody else gets to it first.

Some Photos of Short Dokas and the Finstral Truck

Attachments

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, it's what I wanted to hear! I think that if I was to go this route I would just wack the top off and make it into a ragtop, I have always liked this one.
Truktor could you PM me those short panel # if possible, when you get a chance.

G Vavra

Attachments

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tmax-- I just saw that U2400 again and its just over a 10" stretch (256mm). Any idea what TG would stand for??? I think for the application that the tg cabs are on it's fine( a U2400 with a 13' 3" dump box amongst others), for me i will need at least 24" behind the seats. I have fired off an email or two to Germany about "short" body panels, so I should find out in the next day or so. Curiosity has got me now
Thanks
G Vavra

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
sorry dont know what tg stand for and yes 10 inches is a bit too little for the work and expense involved. 20 inches would be great. let us know if you find out anything else

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
891 Posts
Just bringing this back to see if there was ever a response from Germany on the availability of panels to build an extra cab?

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
Why not find a local sheet metal shop and give them a profile, then they can bend the metal to the exact shape?

Just bringing this back to see if there was ever a response from Germany on the availability of panels to build an extra cab?

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,734 Posts
You don't ever go full doka man. -see also Happy Jack-

As for having profiles bent up, if you know what your panel profile needs to look like it can be made up like aluminum siding in what ever lengths you'd need. Reading through the thread, very wise advice is to avoid the A/B/C pillar's and the door wells. Stretching the flat panels between them should be fairly simple.

·
Registered
UNIMOG, Gelaendewagen
915 Posts
Don't foreget to factor in the relative shortage and there for extreme expence of SBU rear doors. They would likley be half the budget of a true doka conversion.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
With doors so hard to find.. might as well make custom ones. How about a door where top half lifts up and bottom half flips down with steps built into it. Maybe even steps with a ladder that flips or slides down Further.

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
Here is an example of using straight panel profiles to extend a cab. It's a 406 cab but same idea. I think an sbu cab would be even easier, as there are less curves to deal with, and the entire structure is a bit more straightforward.
Note the cut lines.

As for having profiles bent up, if you know what your panel profile needs to look like it can be made up like aluminum siding in what ever lengths you'd need. Reading through the thread, very wise advice is to avoid the A/B/C pillar's and the door wells. Stretching the flat panels between them should be fairly simple.

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never did get anywhere with my previous inquiry about ''panel's".
The other day when this topic resurfaced I tried another approach and shot off an Email to Martin Sandmann,Manager,Daimler AG ,Stuttgart/Germany. He CC me an Email he sent to another fellow who is unfortunately out of the office till the 23 of this month.
When I get a response I will post the results.
G Vavra

1 - 20 of 23 Posts