Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago my 98 500 suddenly lit up the Check Engine, BAS/ASR and Oil level lights simultaneously. At the same time, the tach, fuel economy and temperature gauges died and the car started shifting hard. After a restart, all was fine. Called the mechanic and he was not familiar with the symptoms and asked me to bring it in without a restart so he could read the codes.

It happened a couple more times in the next few weeks, then finally at a convenient time to take to him. He hooked up the scanner and could not communicate with any of the other computers in the car, not the transmission, instrument cluster, nothing. After restarting, the communication was still dead. He ordered and replaced the Base Module that all communication ties into and was then able to read codes and clear. There was no guarantee this was the fix.

After a day of regular driving it happened again. Unfortunately, he was closed this time, so now I have to wait for it to happen again to have the codes read again. Hopefully we won't run into the same problem of no communication again.

Anyone ever heard of this type of problem? Just fishing for ideas until I can get it back to him.

Thanks,

trey

·
Registered
284 Posts
A "careful" visual of engine harness may answer the mystery.

Many times the engine wiring harness wiring insulation (we realize the 98' es a later vintage than earlier harness issues), but we have had three late 90' with wiring harness with definite insulation deterioration and damages connector pins.

This loss of mill thickness en conductor insulation will start an array of false code read outs and if even stray short circuit, the surge can and has damaged the cards en the CAN. Especially the card that es the main communication en charge of diagnostics, etc. If it hasn't already been done, I would have an immediate survey of the harnes wiring's condition, and if you attempt this yourself... please use caution and care when examining the harness, Even the connectors and the connections to the Throttle actuator assembly and Mass Air Flow Meter. The older harness and the Dutchlands attempt at an environmental friendly harness wound up with simple unententional "Planned Obsolesence. The Dutchland machine es a marvel when cared for and maintained as planned on our drawing boards...we attempted en design and methodology. But Political restraints did allow a FUBAR where the engine harness en the S-Klasse es concerned with early 90's. Well, enuff of mine rehtoric and horrible spelling. :thumbsup:

Please, if en the DIAGNOSTICS of your machine and you and a friend decide to use one of the other gute vehicle's card from it's "CAN", just to see if the card was the issue. DO NOT swap the GOOD PC CARD ento the vehicle with the "SUSPECT HARNESS". Simply take the card from the suspect vehicle being checked and place it ento the known good vehicle to see if the problem travels with the card. Otherwise, if you put the known good card ento the suspect vehicle, the possible shorted harness could and probably will fry your good $1500.00" USA card. :bowdown:

I apologize if this es out of line, but we have been through the intermittant code on too many machines and also assisted with way too many expensive card replacements as well.

Also, If the harness es en good shape except for a couple of conductors and it appears as a fraying issue, etc. Just get out the solder iron, shrink sleeve of the appropriate color and use the heat gun (or girl-friends hair dryer) and save that $500.00 for other necessities. <I know...spelling. sorry.

regards, Robert and Dietrich (still filling en for Capt. Dutch)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts