Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first posting for me here but I have pop round time to time to seek advice. Currently, my car has developed a problem that completely stumps the seach function. Hopefully, someone can help me out here.

Ok, about a month ago, the car ('88 W124 saloon) developed a squeak. It seems to come and go as it pleases and it only squeaks when I drive over road irregularities. I suspect its coming from the front end but I'm not very sure of it. The rear did had most of the suspension bush replaced when a squeak developed back there and the differential bushes were replaced too when it was serviced a few months back. Also, I've bounced in all the seats too and was not able to recreate the sound. The seats have fabric coverings.

Here comes the strange part. The squeak is at its loudest in the morning when I just started driving the car and slowly dies off after around 10km of driving. After that its almost completely gone and only manifests itself when I go over a speed bump a little too fast. Because of this, I can't really bring it to a mechanic to check because the squeak will most certainly be gone by the time I reach a workshop and the mechanic will probably yell at me for wasting his time. Handling isn't any different than before and the car is driven around 200km a week.

Help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Is it coming from under the car? Then my guess would be the sway bar bushes. Easy and cheap to replace.

Other possibility is the belt - get a solid bar of soap and put a little on it, this way you should know if the belt is giving out (it should stop squeaking for a while).

Other possibilities are shocks or joints (but those tend to knock, not squeal).

·
Registered
971 Posts
other possibility came to mind - alternator or other appliance bearing... they do the same thing and tend to disappear when warm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi zviratko,

The sound happens only when there is chassis movement, like going over cobble stones and speed bumps. The sound is loudest at the front end, but sometimes, rearward movement also causes a light squeak, but that I suspect is due to a bit of that movement transfered to the front end. The squeak happens throughout the rev band, though I usually only rev up to 3k u/min. Also happens when the engine is under light and heavy load. It does not happen when driving on smooth roads or during cornering.

Regarding the sway bar bushes, which ones are the more likely culprits? The ones on the chassis mounting or the ones at the control arms? What should I look out for when I go under the car?

Thanks for the advices.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I'll second the swaybar bushing theory. If you're going to replace them, just go ahead and do them all at that same time--they're pretty cheap. A squeak could also be coming from your balljoints or lower control arm bushings. It's something you should probably look into, especially if it's a balljoint.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think there are four rubber bushes on the fron sway bar, on the rear there are two sway bar "arms" holders - try to get metal ones if possible. Cost of front + rear should be under $40 :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts