Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive noticed a bit of a puddle on the ground so I jacked the car up to see it very wet on the exhaust side of the engine about mid way up. At first I thought it was the rear seal but its dripping all the way down there for way above. Its hard to see from the top becuase the exhaust is in the way. Hopefully someone can tell from the pictures whats going on. Is it possible to have a cracked block? Im getting kind of worried becuase after driving for a while (warm) at idle I think my oil pressure is really low. The engine only has about 50k on it.

Its comming for above that little "shelf" if you can notice. Only thing besides a crack would be that freeze plug but I doubt that would be leaking.

Thanks for looking
91 300e

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Are you sure it's not coming from the upper timing case area? A leak there will definitely head back and down, wetting the whole right side of the block. It's happening on my TE#1 right now and I've been putting off addressing it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I dont think so. Ive seen quite a drip of that "shelf" and it is only wet on the back side of the engine, then dry towards the front. Would a crack cause oil pressure and hot start issues? cause im having both. Im kinda bummed I think it might be cracked..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lowes guy I take it your leak is comming from the head? Mine is bone dry at the head. its wet with oil about 3 inches down from the head. Coolant is good and pressurized. I wish it was a head gasket.

The car is drivable just have to keep an eye on oil. I guess next summer I will take exhaust manifold off and see what is going on then JB weld?

·
Registered
16,767 Posts
IF you are absolutely sure the head gasket is not an issue, I'd start looking at that freeze plug.

Perhaps the car had the wrong coolant in it at some point, which may have corroded the freeze plug??? Just a guess.

The place your engine is leaking from does not have any oil passages, EXCEPT coolant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts