Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 G500 that makes a strange noise when start driving. It sound like a spring being plucking. kind of a "boing" sound.
If you have ever heard the Anti lock brakes on a Suburban it sound like that

Any ideas?

bill

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Tell us more about which direction the noise is coming from and what happens to provoke this noise.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
discap - 4/9/2005 2:38 PM

I have a 2000 G500 that makes a strange noise when start driving. It sound like a spring being plucking. kind of a "boing" sound.
If you have ever heard the Anti lock brakes on a Suburban it sound like that

Any ideas?

bill
Under what conditions? Starting? Accelerating? At what speed? Stopping? Pulling away from a stop sign? Backing up?

Is it reproducible? Need more specifics.

·
Registered
2000 G500
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only time I notice it is when I start the car to pull out. I thought it might be a power steering issue and checked and topped my fluid. I can feel a little "grind" through the steering wheel, like low P/S fluid.
I think it may be associated with turning the wheel at slow speed. I am not sure because it seems like any time I am pulling out of a parking space I turn the wheel. I will try to go straight ahead a see if it makes the sound.
Oh yeah, it comes from the engine compartment.
I just went by the dealer this morning to check on the harmonic balancer recall. They are having to call the regional rep to check it out. I wonder if that is the "grind" I feel in the steering wheel.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts