Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500SL (Japan) - 133K KMS
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is an odd one.

So, the last few weeks I've been hearing a sort of "scuffle" / "croak" sound that seemingly was coming from my dash upon (slow) acceleration. Sort of sounds like a worn out blower fan that makes a low-chirping noise when the bearings are worn out or something similar.

Anyway, I was pretty peeved because sounds coming from under the dash aren't terribly easy to fix right. But, I wasn't convinced it was the blower fan.

So after a weeks of living with it, trying to figure out when it would happen (usually on light acceleration), I pinned it to be the base of the shifter knob. I've got a bit of play with the shifter. If it's in drive, I can move it a few millimeters up or down. Not a big deal. But what I noticed is that when I did wiggle it back and forth, it would make an obvious metal-on-metal sound. There is definitely enough friction that causes a vibration and that "croaking" noise. When the car accelerates, there is more of a vibration near with the tranny, and the shift knob starts to create the sound. I experimented by driving the car for some miles and some stop and gos while pushing the shifter knob as close to neutral as I can without popping it out of gear. Sure enough, I don't hear a peep.

So, the question is.... how can I get in there and put some white lithium grease to neutralize this annoying sound!? And secondly: anyone ever deal with such a weird sound? lol :)

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
The rod that connects the lever to the transmission has two white plastic bushings and they wear out and eventually fall out. You have to get under the car to replace them.

·
Registered
1994 SL500
137 Posts
I have had to replace the bushings on my shift rod and a suggestion if I may. use a quarter inch bolt and nut to pull the bushings in. Put the bolt with a flat washer on it through the bushing. put that through the lever and then put a short socket big enough for the bushing to pull into on the other side. tighten up the bolt and it will pull the bushing in. Also a little grease on the bushings help them to slide in a little easier. It is a tight fit up there so the frustration level on this job, unless you have access to a hoist and can get off your back, is about a 7 0r 8.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a real joy to do ;)

Thanks for the info guys.

Were your symptoms anything like mine?

·
Registered
1994 SL500
137 Posts
I've done worse things on my car, it is not really difficult it just follows almost everything else I have had to do on it. You can see it but don't try to get a hand on it. As for symptoms the only one I had was a lot of slack in the shifter but both of my bushings were gone. Oh by the way as memory serves me the lever on the trans has a clamp bolt in it which, if you take it out, the trans lever will slide off and you can do that bushing on the bench.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Or spend $45 to get a special pliers looking thing to do it in a few minutes.

No I don't have one, I do it with the screw. Haha. :(

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Special tool? Since when did our cars need special tools?

I wonder what these magic pliers look like!

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Nik,
Go to Baum tools, picture was in our forum not to long a go.
It is a pliers with two holes in front.
Special tools? Hahaha.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
I have a 91 with the same issue. Thanks for the details guys.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Does anybody have a part number for the bushing(s) handy?

crash2478, if you happen to get to yours before I do, take some pictures would ya :)

The "shift shaft bushing installer"? Pretty pricey! But probably invaluable to those shaft-bushing replacing shops that you see around town.

·
52,804 Posts
Does anybody have a part number for the bushing(s) handy?

crash2478, if you happen to get to yours before I do, take some pictures would ya :)

The "shift shaft bushing installer"? Pretty pricey! But probably invaluable to those shaft-bushing replacing shops that you see around town.
Upper bushing is A202 992 00 50
Lower bushing is A202 992 00 10

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts

·
52,804 Posts
This thread appears complete now:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts