Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 (W210) Obsidian Black
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago 2000 E320 suddenly developed misfire after I pushed it a bit - spark plug dead symptom - and lost power. Stopped at traffic lights and could feel engine shaking. Got to my destination, switched off, then started again and all working fine. Has worked perfectly since. I think plugs are only 50,000 kms old so not yet due. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,678 Posts
Did you have a Check engine light on ?

Have you bought your code scanner ?

·
Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
1,143 Posts
Fuel filter maybe?

Mine was an E320CDi (diesel), 2002, but on 2 other cars was full of mucky brown stuff. On the Volvo V70 it was very muddy stuff.

It began with an intermittent misfire, then it would run for a few miles before stalling, started OK. Then it stalled in town and wouldn't start at all.

Be careful.too because misfires destroy your catalytic converters in no time.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Few days ago 2000 E320 suddenly developed misfire after I pushed it a bit - spark plug dead symptom - and lost power. Stopped at traffic lights and could feel engine shaking. Got to my destination, switched off, then started again and all working fine. Has worked perfectly since. I think plugs are only 50,000 kms old so not yet due. Any thoughts?
Plugs are new, condition of the SP wires to get the spark where they are needed?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for quick replies. Have just returned from indi who seems to know his stuff. He plugged scanner in which showed old codes for misfire on cyl 3 & 4. Was no current misfire and engine running well. He had seen this before - plugs, leads, coils, injectors etc all showing good and that maybe small amount of water water in fuel circulating around, especially if I had got cheap fuel from somewhere else, which I had. His suggestion, leave as is and if occurs again come back for further investigation. In meantime, give engine some revs occassionally - 5,000 - which will probably expel any water which may be present. Coming home I revved to 5k a couple of times and all good (I like the sound of engine doing some work - the Fangio in me coming out. For you youngsters out there, he was world's best F1 driver back in the day.) He also told me when ECU detects misfire it will shut that piston down and then must recycle by switching off then re-starting and should be fine. This is exactly what I had inadvertantly done and it worked. For the present since nothing obviously wrong, I feel relieved.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mrboca - didn't mean to ignore you. No CEL and no, haven't bought scanner yet.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
mrboca - didn't mean to ignore you. No CEL and no, haven't bought scanner yet.
Well, he is correct that if the misfires are severe enough (type B) the ECU will turn off the fuel injectors for those cylinders to protect the catalytic converters. In that case you would get flashing CEL which would clear after restart, till such misfire condition is detected again.

If the same condition occurs in the same cylinders, then this is no longer random, and it needs to be checked.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,790 Posts
Might be an idea to take out and inspect a few spark plugs ,,,unless you do that ,,you really don't know what condition they are in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
time to pull plugs and see what you are dealing with. it is hard on your V8 ( 2 x 8 plugs?) but with the "MB boot plug tool" you will have em popped out in no time

I have bad rumbling and shaking during stop light idle and changing plugs did not help. I would replace the ignition coils next but have not had time to hit the junkyard yet

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
time to pull plugs and see what you are dealing with. it is hard on your V8 ( 2 x 8 plugs?) but with the "MB boot plug tool" you will have em popped out in no time

I have bad rumbling and shaking during stop light idle and changing plugs did not help. I would replace the ignition coils next but have not had time to hit the junkyard yet
And how do you know it is ignition related ? Do you have any misfires ? and codes ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
honestly it does have CEL but I cannot de-cypher the meaning. I am happy it is driving.... If not ignition, then it must be fuel eh? I have a guage to check pressure :runs away:

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
honestly there are so many codes on this car I am happy it is driving. If not ignition, then it must be fuel eh? I have a guage to check pressure :runs away:
Air, fuel, ignition.
And also mounts (engine, transmission)

Post your codes and let's see what you have.

·
Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
1,143 Posts
Misfires can be catastrophic, the unburnt fuel can destroy your catalytic converters in less than a week of short journeys to the shops even.

So DONT leave them too long, order a pair of coils online if you have to.

I wouldn't use second-hand coils because they are already old and likely to fail, and they often fail in batches on your own car.

So order a pair of new coils and if you can't isolate to one cylinder change 2 and if it doesn't fix the problem replace the next 2 with the new ones and repeat.

Buy at least a cheapo OBDII scan tool and use it to find which cylinder is failing and fix it asap.

You can't fix any post-2006 car without one.

Remember also that on cars older than 4-5 years the fuel filters can get clogged up and cause fuel starvation until they clog up completely and leave you or wifey stranded. Change them.

Ok, points taken in? :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts