Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a pair of headlamps as fitted to North American delivered 107s, including turn signal lamps (I think the turn signal lamps are different to the "Euro" type). I don't require the actual sealed beam inserts as apart from being next to useless in terms of light output, they do not suit our right hand drive situation in Australia. This may seem an odd request, but let me explain.

107s were delivered in Australia with the standard "Euro" style lamps (only with reverse asymmetric pattern for right hand drive here) fitted with H4 halogen lamps. This gives good low (dipped) beam but with only two lamps the high (main) beam could be better especially in my case where I wish to use my 350SLC for a little classic rallying. I have an additional pair of Bosch rectangular driving lights (that match the fog lights) mounted under the front bumper which operate with the high beam that improve the situation.

I have noticed that the factory rally SLCs ran the North American four light setup (although I suspect in halogen), presumably giving them two low beams with four high beams (plus additional driving lights). I have considered trying the same idea. I would probably run hi/lo halogen inserts for the outers with H4 lamps and either halogen inserts (H1 or H3) or 100W "aicraft landing" sealed beams for the inners, all with suitable relays and wiring. This is assuming that the housings accept any standard 5.75 inch lamps (someone may be able to verify this for me).

Before you all knock me over in the rush (I know "Euro" lamps are sought after there), my original lamps are for right hand drive (light pattern kicks up to the left). They are also well sand blasted and have a few chips and one even has a small crack after 29 years and over 400,000 kilometres.

So, there is my strange request. Any offers of how I can get hold of a pair cheaply over here in Australia? Oh, and just to explain for those who may be horrified at the thought of rallying an SLC. My 350 (which I purchased cheaply 20 years ago and owes me nothing) is mechanically good despite its high mileage, but body and paint wise it is getting tired. The cost of restoring it would exceed the cost of buying another in top condition (the Australian climate is kind to cars and there are plenty of 107s still available). So my argument is why not just continue to drive it and enjoy it including a little motorsport. I'm not talking full on car killing stuff, mind you. I still love my old SLC.

·
Registered
560SL
28 Posts
headlamps

Contact performance products of california at www.performanceproducts.com

they have a 107SL catalog with a lot of things. What you will need for your setup is a pair of US spec assemblies, and order their Hella euro lamp upgrade. They replace the sealed beam which is terrible. They are 5 3/8" i believe, although i could be wrong. Get a pair of lo beam and a pair of hi beam. The low beam runs on H4. The hi beam runs on H1. Since you are into rallying, I recommend getting polyurethane covers for the lights at www.xpel.com, request the us spec covers, they come in a set including fog lights too! Please let me know if you know of any performance mods for the 560SL, preferably wheel and suspension options. I know this is quite a popular model in Australia, some parts are hard to find in the US!

·
Registered
350SLC, 500SLC, 300TE, 190E2.3 Sportline
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

I'm not sure whether I will still do the mod. The H4 inserts I had in storage for this mod have deteriorated (silvering has flaked off reflectors). I don't really want to go to the expense of 4 lamp inserts and the US headlight assemblies (including turn signal lamps). I was looking at doing it cheaply but obviously this will not be the case. I must admit, I also still prefer the look of the original headlights, although the quad lights would have given the look of the factory rally cars.

Regarding performance mods, they are not common in Oz. Most 107s here look fairly original. In fact Benzes here rarely get mods other than wheels, tyres and the occasional body kit. People doing mods generally go it alone and do their own experimenting. My 350SLC is stock standard apart from 7" x 15" ET25 (late 126/107) wheels with 215/60R15 tyres (Pirelli P6000).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts