Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a Mercedes 2002 C230 and when I attempt fill up the gas 'clicks' as if the gas tank is full. I started having this problem after taking the car into the shop to reset my instrument panel-- long story short triple A came out because my car battery was dead and they gave me a 'jump' which shorted the electrical system. :mad:

Since then I haven't been able to fully gas up. :crybaby2: Okay, I managed to fill the tank once or twice in the past six month.

The gas doesn't 'spew' out-- it just refuses to gas. I've tried every which way to gas the tank. Changing positions, manuevering the gas nozel thinking it could be the way I am inputing the gas but nothing helps. One thing to note is if I hold and litterallly keep gasing the car after repeately get the 'clicks' it will eventually fill up.

Any Ideas?

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I get this everytime I fill up...lol...nothing major, just pull out the nozzle a bit and turn the handle on the gas pump a bit too. should fill up then. I thought mine was messing up too but when I do this^ I have no issues at all...

mine takes close to $40 bucks to fill up. used to be around $28. how much does yours take to fill up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow! thats cheap to fill up. I live here in California and since I fill up with only premium I pay 82 dollars to fill up! Where are you at? Wherever it is, im moving cause gas prices are ridiculous!

·
Registered
1994 C220 (W202) Classic and 1998 C240 (W202) Elegance
342 Posts
Fuel prices are ridiculous. Down here in Africa we pay more for "Gas/Fuel/Petroleum", about the equalent of close to $2 a liter (R10/l). (Not sure how many gallons in a litre). You guys pay (R7/l).

Anyways- it doesn't fill up because you're hitting the vaccuum seal or the "air-lock" as it's known to gas station attendents - and they always say so.

Pulll nozzle out a little and give it a slight (one-eighth turn) to the right and the fuel should flow freely. I used to get this all the time with my BMW and occassionally with my MB. Also make sure you turn off the engine when you fill up - as it could keep the air lock engaged.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Also... don't use AAA for roadside assistance in a Mercedes, we don't need it... call the number on the driver side sunvisor... its free for them to come help you with gas, jump, lockout, flat tire and to tow you to the nearest MB Dealer.

This is a free service for the life of the car... no matter how many owners it goes through.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
Also... don't use AAA for roadside assistance in a Mercedes, we don't need it... call the number on the driver side sunvisor... its free for them to come help you with gas, jump, lockout, flat tire and to tow you to the nearest MB Dealer.

This is a free service for the life of the car... no matter how many owners it goes through.

a couple people on this site said that number doesn't work and it's best to call the nearest flatbed wrecker.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
They must be calling the wrong number. You can call it yourself to check and make sure you have the right number. Sometimes people can't remember if they have to input "for" as "4" "for" or "four" and it causes a problem.

Service can take a while to reach you depending on how backed up there are when you call. Same thing with AAA but AAA has a lot more service people available.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
You have VAPOR LOCK. ( I think ). If you are in an area that is very hot, and you consistently leave the Tank less than half full you will notice the vapor lock.
Try this to "vent" it.
Stick a Large ScrewDriver in your Gas Flap. Leave it there for about a half hour.
In your driveway or shaded area. This should definitely allow the Gas to
vent.

When the first light comes on, you can pump in 14.2 Gallons.

Try this and see if this works.
Fill up your Gas Tank at night time and see if you get that "pop" off sensation.
I suspect you will not.

Reminder; you have Free Lifetime Road Assistance with MB USA.
Even if you are not the Original Owner. It does not matter.
If you have a Benz, you have this Free Service.

Vapor Lock is common here in Florida.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everybody for your reponse. I have printed this for my own reference.

You guys rock! Oh and btw: I think this may be because of Vapor lock. I did have the Mercedes in my garage for about 3 months while I was driving my other car and during that period it did hit in between the 100-110 degrees.

I'll try the screwdriver trick.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Thank you everybody for your reponse. I have printed this for my own reference.

You guys rock! Oh and btw: I think this may be because of Vapor lock. I did have the Mercedes in my garage for about 3 months while I was driving my other car and during that period it did hit in between the 100-110 degrees.

I'll try the screwdriver trick.

Thanks again!
OK with that added information also recommend you pour in one bottle of Water Remover into your Gas Tank.
It does sound like Vapor Lock. Especially with the Car parked like it was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts