Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I pulled the instrument cluster in my '85 300D to get the odometer repaired. As I was in the process of doing so, I forgot to disconnect the ground wire off the battery (BIG mistake) so every wire still had power to it. When I took the wire off the back of the tachometer, I accidentally moved it over and it hit the circular metal trim piece around the ignition key. After lots of sparks and some smoke, a fuse in the fuse box blew. Not thinking anything else had happened, I proceeded to take the cluster out, got it repaired, put it back in the car, and replaced the blown fuse. At this point I start up the car and everything works the way it should. THEN, as I turn the light switch on, the gas gauge needle slides to the "full" mark, the tach stops working, the water temp needle goes to 120 C, the lights in the cluster go off, the idiot lights buzz and flash randomly, and both green turning signal lights light up. The only thing properly functioning now is the oil gauge and the speedometer. When I turn the light switch off, everything is fine again. What could this problem be? :confused:

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
Sounds to me like you fried a few wires and maybe a few got hot enough the insulation burned off and the wires are touching. Add a disturbed ground to that too.

The OP gauge has it's own oil supply running to it so, it works regardless.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I took apart the tape on the wiring loom that goes to the instrument cluster and found no unusual wiring issues. I only tracked about 10 inches - to where the loom goes below the steering wheel. I guess I will have to track that whole thing tomorrow. :eek:

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
sound like you have a ground problem. Run a new ground wires from the back of the gauge cluster to the chassis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts