Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car yesterday and something was louder than usual. I didn't pay attention and proceeded to my destination. Then I realized that the blinker/signal is not working. Power window is not working. However, the car drove fine and AC was working. I then noticed that the doors are unlocked. I pressed the door lock and suddenly the blinker, power windows are working again. The loud noise is also gone (I still don't know what that was). Has anyone encountered this problem before?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Alpha.

The noise seems more bothersome than the electrical bugaboo. It's been said these things are nothing but computers on wheels and as such, it seems they at times come up with these oddball scenarios all on their own. Just to test us, as it were, to see if we're paying attention. Had it not rectified itself I would have suggested the old standby of rebooting the car. From that perspective I don't think I'd be too concerned.

However, what did the noise sound like? Whine, periodic, clanky-mechanical, whirring, etc? Did it start when the engine started or after you began moving? Did it's pitch or frequency change with engine speed or vehicle speed? Louder when accelerating or decelerating or off-power coast?

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1999 E430
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The noise is a whirring sound. It is consistent regardless if I sped up, slowed down, or came to a stop at a light. The cruise control worked during all this. It was odd.

I am not sure where to look for loose connections? What connections could be loose?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Where

did the sound originate from?Engine bay or behind you?
Is it still gone?If it happens again,stop and listen for where it is creating the sound.Could be a faulty pse pump,which would affect the door locks and windows,the blinkers issue is a conundrum ,that may take a repeat of the conditions to solve the riddle :D
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1999 E430
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sound was definitely coming from the front of the car. At one point I thought it was the fan. I was going to stop but I was several blocks from my house, so I proceeded. When I was at a traffic light I noticed the doors were unlocked. I pressed the power lock button and the sound was gone, blinker worked, and windows worked.

What is the PSE pump and where is it located? I hope this will never happen again but thanks guys for the help!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
PSE stands for Pneumatic System Equipment. I found the following on the internet:

Functions of PSE
(depending on model)
• Central locking (CL)
• Head restraints (RHR)
• Closing assist (CA)
• Multi-contour seats (MCS)
• Remote trunk release (RTR)
• Remote trunk locking (RTL)
• Rear defroster
• Anti-theft alarm (ATA)
• Manifold vacuum assist (MVA)

I don't know where yours is located, but I hope this is of some benefit.

·
Registered
2000 MB
803 Posts
This morning, I took out the engine cover to see if I could clean the engine bay area. After cleaning a little, I started the car and i did hear something like this, but when I replaced the hard plastic cover, you could hardly hear it. Maybe it's a different case
but if anyone is curious, try starting engine without cover.
Maybe it's just something else.

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
859 Posts
did the sound originate from?Engine bay or behind you?
Is it still gone?If it happens again,stop and listen for where it is creating the sound.Could be a faulty pse pump,which would affect the door locks and windows,the blinkers issue is a conundrum ,that may take a repeat of the conditions to solve the riddle :D
ohlord:bowdown:
rob you told me about pse recently (thanks for that) on PM...how would one go about changing the PSE pump? I have to imagine it's at or near the center console considering that's where many of hte buttons using it are placed.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,276 Posts

like greg says, computers on wheels. so it's possible that even though it
looks like a simple swap out (my guess, a 15-30 min procedure) there's
still the outside chance that version coding is needed.

e.g. i know that inthe photos above, when my seats were being changed out
the PSE pump needed the help of the MB SDS multiplexor.

PSE pump can be had for approx $300 and about the size of a small loaf
of raisin bread....under the rear seat, pax side on W210s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts