Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Just bought my first MB c350 cgi and I love it. But I've noticed some strange behaviour. When I start the car and wait some minutes before driving the temp gauge is normally moving up to a warmer temp.
This is normal temp as I understand;
ImageUploadedByAG Free1404137786.507606.jpg

But after driving slowly for I while it goes down?!
ImageUploadedByAG Free1404137827.210160.jpg

Can someone explain this?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Above 80 as in your first pic is normal for me and does not move much - unless I switch heater on full but then only temporary.

Oberoi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer. I have tried to se when it moves and I think it's when I drive really fast and when I drive really slowly :s. I'm very confused. I still have warranty on the car that's why I want to know if there is something wrong. Just had it in a Benz shop for b service and they didn't say that anything was wrong. They said that everything is as it should be.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Lux Black on Black
68 Posts
Above 80 as in your first pic is normal for me and does not move much - unless I switch heater on full but then only temporary.
I too was concerned at first with the engine temp above 80. But everyone said it is normal. My temp never drops - but I rarely have the heat on in Florida!

·
Registered
2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 Bluetec, 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300D W123
600 Posts
I am guessing the thermostat opens and then drops back to 80C

·
Registered
2012 C250 Coupe
3 Posts
My temp is always like that, BUT every night I drive on a highway downhill, letting the car coast down at about 65-70 mph and the temp drops to around 70, so I guess the combination of high speed air through the radiator plus lower heat being put out by the engine by not stepping on the gas leads to lower water/engine temperatures

·
Registered
2010 Mercedes-Benz C300
45 Posts
This is normal. Mine does it too.

Its either the thermo opening or air moving across the radiator. Most all cars run cooler radiator temps underway than in traffic. Thats good, the gauge actually works, unlike my POS Land Rover that wont budge a mm between 180-235F :mad::banghead:

·
Registered
1 Posts
deveshan

hi

I have C180 w204 2013 model.
my vehicle has had a thermostat and a water pump replacement
and the faster I drive my car the heat gauge drops below the 80degree mark.
my car is at the dealer now for 3weeks and they don't know what the fault is.
has anybody had this type of problem. they have now replaced the thermostat
for the second time and the fault is still present. with the scan tool present values
that the engine ecu reads is the same as what the instrument cluster displays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi

I have C180 w204 2013 model.
my vehicle has had a thermostat and a water pump replacement
and the faster I drive my car the heat gauge drops below the 80degree mark.
my car is at the dealer now for 3weeks and they don't know what the fault is.
has anybody had this type of problem. they have now replaced the thermostat
for the second time and the fault is still present. with the scan tool present values
that the engine ecu reads is the same as what the instrument cluster displays.

I seem to have the same problem - normally at standstill the temp heats upto 80 degree mark and when driving on the motorway it drops between 65-70. This started happening since I had it service - would this be the cause anyone???

·
Registered
3 Posts
w204 - engine temperature gauge error

Hello folks,

Since I've had my C220 CDI Diesel Auto serviced the engine temp gauge (as pictured below) falls below the average temp of 90degree mark. When the car is at standstill it will be at around 80 degree mark and when I start driving on motorways, the temp drops to about 65-70 degree mark.

Is this caused by service? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Newbie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply. What seems to cause this problem? Would it be the people services it because it was never like that until they've serviced it or is it a common fault? Is this costly to repair? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz, W204, 2010, Engine M271
2 Posts
Temperature coolant gauge dropping in W204, CGI - Blue efficiency 2010 Model

Thanks for your reply. What seems to cause this problem? Would it be the people services it because it was never like that until they've serviced it or is it a common fault? Is this costly to repair? Thanks
Is there any solution to this? I have replaced the temperature sensor and Crankshaft position sensor but it’s still misbehaving.

·
Registered
2009 C300 Luxury
13 Posts
My understanding after reading some technical articles on the M272 is that this engine has an electronically controlled thermostat which will vary the coolant temps through a range based on multiple different factors for best efficiency and performance. My '09 C300 will vary anywhere from 90 to a few notches above 90. Even on long freeway trips I have seen it fluctuate up and down at steady state cruising speeds.

See below article, not MB specific but gives a good idea of how new generation thermostats work. Hope this helps!

The Electrically Assisted Thermostat: A Smarter Way To Greater Engine Efficiency -

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes E350 Coupe
1 Posts
Have you find a solution for this problem?

Hello! Just bought my first MB c350 cgi and I love it. But I've noticed some strange behaviour. When I start the car and wait some minutes before driving the temp gauge is normally moving up to a warmer temp.
This is normal temp as I understand;
View attachment 1015713

But after driving slowly for I while it goes down?!
View attachment 1015721

Can someone explain this?

Hi,
I am bringing this thread back to life because I am having the exact same problem as yours, temperature gauge was always a rock solid at the 90 degree mark, and two weeks ago I took the car for service B at MB dealer, and when I received the car the temperature gauge needle started fluctuating between 80 and 90 degrees, especially when I drive on high speeds on the highway... I took the car back twice to the dealer and they told me that this is NORMAL! I insisted that it never ever did this before, and I told them that maybe when they inspected the coolant level some air bubbles got inside the cooling system and started doing the fluctuations! I asked the dealer to flush the coolant and put a new coolant in the system, and they did that but the problem is still going and I am still getting temperature fluctuations between 80 and 90 degrees!

Can you please tell us your experience with this problem and share with us how did you solve it or did not you solve it and just lived with it?

My car is a 2013 Mercedes E350 Coupe...

I don't have any Check Engine Lights on, and no codes whatsoever!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem too on my 2013 C250. I have flushed the coolant, changed the fan, changed the thermostat, replaced old coolant pipes and still nothing. The dealer said it was normal and after around 5K kms the problem is less evident (i.e. not fluctuating as much anymore) but the engine constantly runs at 95 instead of 90 (with minor fluctuations down and up between 95 and 85) now and the top up coolant warning appears randomly every now and then. Not sure how much more money I am willing to spend to resolve the issue but the next step would be to replace the radiator and replace the temp sensor.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,698 Posts
Your car runs fine doesnt it?
New technology,,,electric thermostat,,,the dealer is correct it is normal.
Nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts