Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500SL
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just bought a 91 350sdl - I have a few repairs to do on it over the next couple weeks, but I have a strange electrical issue to figure out 1st.

The power seats, power windows, sunroof, and wipers don't work. All other accessories work. Ohhh... and the car doesn't start, but I'm not actually worried about that yet. (not the starter as I can run 12v directly from the battery to get it to go)

I've found in the diagram that fuse 17 is the common point for a couple of those systems, but it's no blown.

Is it likely an ignition switch issue? Everything else works. Anyone see this before?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,669 Posts
Yes if youre lucky it could be just the corrosion on the fuses issue thats often mentioned. Changing fuses to copper has often sorted out peoples problems. The aluminium lends itself to the dissimilar metal reaction thing and the corrosion makes for bad contact even though it looks fine and the fuse isnt blown.

Fingers crossed..

·
Registered
500SL
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes if youre lucky it could be just the corrosion on the fuses issue thats often mentioned. Changing fuses to copper has often sorted out peoples problems. The aluminium lends itself to the dissimilar metal reaction thing and the corrosion makes for bad contact even though it looks fine and the fuse isnt blown.

Fingers crossed..
I didn't notice if the fuses were copper or metal - I will recheck.

do i wanna know what the worst case scenario is?

I'll only have access to the car on Monday unfortunately.

·
Registered
500SL
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
took a look today - fuses were free of corrosion and the pin tension was great. started poking around with a test light, but things weren't adding up. That's when i went (physically) digging and found a cut-off switch that the previous owner didn't tell me about. Flipped the proverbial switch, and I have happy OM603!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts