Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E55 AMG, 2003 E500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. In a major jam. Stuck in Mexico with a tech I don't know. Dealer won't touch the car as it's U.S. plates older than 2015.

Car ran strong. Gassed up with Chevron. Drove a few miles. Shut off for 10 min. When started back up engine light came on. Car sputtered and misfired. White smoke and raw, unburned fuel out the exhaust.

Took it to the only MB indie sourced. Immediately said it appeared to be an injector issue. My tech in L.A. also said, without looking at it, appeared to be an injector hung open.

Cat replaced three injectors on one bank. Car ran better but still sick as Hell.

The OEM injectors replaced are GREEN. Have numbers I don't understand:

• A1130780149
  • 961 B
Replacements are BLACK:
  • Couldn't read the 'A" number (I believe this is the part # ?) as I didn't want to remove it;
  • 871 A
What are these numbers? Should originals be replaced with other spec parts even though they fit?

I was told no codes were found, although I saw a NAPA 38 pin scanner (not Star/Xentry). U.S. service advisor I spoke with said regardless it would only show a misfire.

The guys on the W210 Facebook forums have been supportive, but I have no diagnostic tools (scanner, fuel pressure tester, noid, etc...).

Now checking for frayed/pinched wiring/harness to the ECM from the injectors, and spark. Found a ruptured air injection vacuum hose, but don't think it could be the root of the problem.

The dealer here said they would cooperate thoroughly with the indie on the diagnosis and repair, but can't get to it for another few weeks (business is too good). Now sourcing how to get it back Stateside, but I can't leave for another 30 days due to legal issues.

Can anyone kindly shed some light?

Posting this on the other forum as well.

BIG THANKS!

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,537 Posts
Isn't mexico gas dodgy? Change the gas with a known good one.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,680 Posts
Agree with Deplore ,,,don't discount the obvious ,,a few miles after gassing up ,,,bad fuel ,,contaminated..

·
Registered
1999 E55 AMG, 2003 E500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. Yes, this has been covered on the other forum. It rained pretty hard here lately. Contaminated, dirty gas contributing to a stuck injector. Drain and clean the tank, change the fuel filter, clean the injectors.

There's a thousand ways to die.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,164 Posts
The replacement injectors are wrong. Those are for the M112 non amg engine.

I also think it's bad gas as well.

And try not to run the engine. All of the unburned fuel in the exhaust will destroy your catylitic converters quickly.

·
Registered
1999 E55 AMG, 2003 E500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks i. Yes, those three injectors are the wrong part. Not running the car but it's been run enough so that the cats well may already be toast.

Draining the tank, changing the fuel filter, changing plugs, changing oil & filter, cleaning out and replacing 'o' rings on injectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts