Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'll admit I love the sound of a straight pipe W123; the problem is that I live within the DC limits and I'm afraid of getting ticketed for noise violations. Has anyone attempted to fix a Y pipe/butterfly exhaust to their Mercedes?

It would be lovely to keep her nice and (relatively) quiet in the city and open the taps when I'm out for a drive in Virginia.

Cheers!

Will

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
JC Whitney and Compay used to sell that sort of stuff but operated with a cable.

Don't know if they would have the correct pipe size though.

If your 85 has a Trap Oxidizer I think you would get better performance replacing that with the so called "Test Pipe".
However, consult you local emission laws concernig that.

Her in CA there is no emissions test or inspection on the Older Diesels. So you can get away with that here; so far.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
most older diesels are exempt from emissions. I drive all in atlanta and surrounding areas with a straight pipe on my dakota benz truck. never had an issue with noise police. its really not that loud, mostly whistling and deep rumble. no muffler at all.

·
Registered
871 Posts
.......and, if I might add, how do you get rid of the droaning noise of the straight piped exhaust? I want to hear more turbo and less loud engine noise when under light acceleration and cruising.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Try deleting just the muffler first while leaving the resonator in and see how she sounds. If it's just a straight pipe it will drone and that might become annoying after a while. If you take both the resonator and muffler out I'd recommend trying a glasspack just for shits and giggles :cool:

I like what this guy did:

It's got a nice note to it when above idle

·
Registered
675 Posts
At some point I am going to be straight piping my 240D. But I'm going to drop my entire tax return on a paint job, then do the straight pipe with what I have left over. Thinking I might do a 3inch and exit behind the drivers side wheel.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Try deleting just the muffler first while leaving the resonator in and see how she sounds. If it's just a straight pipe it will drone and that might become annoying after a while. If you take both the resonator and muffler out I'd recommend trying a glasspack just for shits and giggles :cool:

I like what this guy did: Mercedes Benz 300d Kallstart - YouTube

It's got a nice note to it when above idle
The 5cyl has its own sound/timbre, I like it. What's that guys setup, do you know by chance. I'm not cutting up my exhaust for now, but when I have to replace, that's an option!

Thanks for posting!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The 5cyl has its own sound/timbre, I like it. What's that guys setup, do you know by chance. I'm not cutting up my exhaust for now, but when I have to replace, that's an option!

Thanks for posting!:thumbsup:
From a comment on the video:

only a small muffler. with perforated inner tube and attenuation material 2.5 inch rough all the way from downpipe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
.......and, if I might add, how do you get rid of the droaning noise of the straight piped exhaust? I want to hear more turbo and less loud engine noise when under light acceleration and cruising.
I could not resist posting this video from a guy that makes the turbos louder on mercedes trucks. Pretty sure he welds something into the exhaust manifold.

RICARDOFAZPENTE2010's Channel - YouTube

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts