Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I'm going to store my car in the winter time and I've been reading up on how to store the car but I've heard many contradicting things so I just wanted to open up this topic and hope to clarify some things and see how you guys store your cars as well.

1) Wash car very thoroughly including undercarriage and Wax
2) Clean entire interior, condition leather and put protectant on all trim pieces and wax the wood. Spray lubrication on all required hinges and suspension areas.
3) Fill up the gas to prevent corrosion or water entering the tank
4) Check all fluids and make sure everything is fresh
5) Put a car cover on and park in garage (apparently parking on pieces of wood to protect tires??)
6) Start car every 1-2 weeks and allow to run 10-15 mins to get engine to operating temperature.

In the winters here it gets to -40 degrees C so its pretty chilly... I have a engine block heater as well as a trickle charger I can use in case it runs out of battery. Driving the car in the winter isn't an option for me as they like to put salt everywhere so as soon as it exits the garage it'll be dirty and rust will kill it so it has to stay put.
What would you guys do and did I miss any vital things in keeping our cars in perfect condition for keeping it stationary over the cold winter months?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
Being in Winnipeg you should be able to see what farmers do with their tractors for parking in the field over the winter?
Put coffee can over exhaust pipe, disconnect the battery, close the door and walk away.

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rough day at work or did you have a bad experience in Winnipeg? hahaha
In any case, if you don't have anything productive to add don't say it

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Two more suggestions I have, Check the coolant freezing point, the second, run your car at least once a week for an hour to avoid battery freezing (trust me I know). Trickle charge is also a blessing (make sure the key is not in the ignition while charger connected). The major rule is, charger connected, the ignition should never be used, unless charger is disconnected.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
Being in Winnipeg you should be able to see what farmers do with their tractors for parking in the field over the winter?
Put coffee can over exhaust pipe, disconnect the battery, close the door and walk away.
+ 1

·
Registered
36,720 Posts
Rough day at work or did you have a bad experience in Winnipeg? hahaha
In any case, if you don't have anything productive to add don't say it
If you don't like the advise, why do you feel the need for unpleasant comments?
Storing the car for 6 months doesn't require anything more than storing it for a week beside disconnecting the battery. Toping off the tank is the only other thing that helps in dump climates, although with pressurized tanks on MB it is stretching as well.
Have fun washing and waxing the car only to have it collecting the dust.
Starting the engine without driving is proven to do damages.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I would also safely support the car on blocks for two reasons. One is to avoid flat-spotting the tires. It's less rare nowadays but it's still prudent. The other is that simply starting the car and letting it run for some period of time will help the engine, but it doesn't do much for the transmission and differential. Once you've let the engine run (I'd say a minimum of thirty minutes, you don't just want the engine to get to operating temperature, you want it to stay there for a bit) then with it at idle speed step on the brake, engage drive, and then let off the brake slowly. That will ensure that ATF and lube gets everywhere it needs to get. Let that go for just a few minutes. Then shut it down. If it triggers alerts and malfunctions, just ignore them. Like Eagleone, I also would not let it go for two weeks in those kind of conditions.

Four months is marginal for fuel stability, but I'd still throw in a bottle or two of fuel stabilizer just to be cautious.

Oh, and you didn't realize Kajtek1 was being serious, albeit a little tongue-in-cheek? The coffee can is a good idea, but I'd wait until it has cooled down for a few minutes, and then I would actually tape the coffee can on. Or tape on a freezer-gauge ziploc bag.

Each week before you start it up, be sure to first open the hood to check for vermin, etc. and pop open the air cleaner box to be sure nothing is setting up house in there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would also safely support the car on blocks for two reasons. One is to avoid flat-spotting the tires. It's less rare nowadays but it's still prudent. The other is that simply starting the car and letting it run for some period of time will help the engine, but it doesn't do much for the transmission and differential. Once you've let the engine run (I'd say a minimum of thirty minutes, you don't just want the engine to get to operating temperature, you want it to stay there for a bit) then with it at idle speed step on the brake, engage drive, and then let off the brake slowly. That will ensure that ATF and lube gets everywhere it needs to get. Let that go for just a few minutes. Then shut it down. If it triggers alerts and malfunctions, just ignore them. Like Eagleone, I also would not let it go for two weeks in those kind of conditions.

Four months is marginal for fuel stability, but I'd still throw in a bottle or two of fuel stabilizer just to be cautious.

Oh, and you didn't realize Kajtek1 was being serious, albeit a little tongue-in-cheek? The coffee can is a good idea, but I'd wait until it has cooled down for a few minutes, and then I would actually tape the coffee can on. Or tape on a freezer-gauge ziploc bag.

Each week before you start it up, be sure to first open the hood to check for vermin, etc. and pop open the air cleaner box to be sure nothing is setting up house in there.

Good luck.

Ah great answer, that clears it all up for me. The transmission did slip my mind and thanks for reminding me about that. Since mine is rebuilt I try to take care of it even when I'm driving. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't like the advise, why do you feel the need for unpleasant comments?
Storing the car for 6 months doesn't require anything more than storing it for a week beside disconnecting the battery. Toping off the tank is the only other thing that helps in dump climates, although with pressurized tanks on MB it is stretching as well.
Have fun washing and waxing the car only to have it collecting the dust.
Starting the engine without driving is proven to do damages.
Sorry man, didn't realize you were being serious about your earlier comment and just thought it was an insult. I never heard of people taping a coffee can to their exhaust while storing their cars but thanks for the input I'll probably do that this winter :)

·
Registered
36,720 Posts
That is what you get talking to city boys about farm equipment :D
The coffee can on vertical exhaust pipe on tractors is to prevent the rain water from entering the engine. I do have rats ans mouses where I live, but they usually like to make the nest on the top of the engine and only once on Toyota based motorhome they clogged air filter. Never had any damage done by vermits to my cars, although my friend in different city had to put $900 into his Audi after rats chew some vacuum hoses.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Let me underline the very real possibility of mice or rats setting up housekeeping. The coffee can will keep them out of the exhaust pipe and checking under the air box cover is a good idea.

Different car, but on my Toyota when left to sit, field mice would build a nest inside the blower motor cage. There are bound to be similar places on our E320s where they might inhabit.

·
Registered
36,720 Posts
Must be something in Toyotas. Last spring I helped my brother to clean the nest from blower and ventilation ducts on his 4-runner. He had it parked for weeks on his WA property and the blower was so pack that it would not turn over. Even after cleaning the blower blades and housing, after restarting the car had so much debris, that they stop the blower again and had to pull it out again for re-cleaning.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Wow Kajtek1, that was worse than mine if the nest even got into the ducts. But mine was never parked more than 3-4 weeks so maybe that is why? Also my fan would always spin even with the nest in there. The reason I knew that was there was the fan made a funny rubbing type noise.

·
Registered
2000 Black E320 4Matic
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have much issues with rodents in my area, we store our skyline and SLK in the garage over the winter with just car covers on and so far so good... but I'm more careful with the e320 cause it's an older vehicle than the others and I plan on keeping it forever so you can't ever be too careful!

·
Registered
36,720 Posts
I keep my motorhome under the tent carport and it starts after 12 months of parking just fine. Diesel fuel is not evaporating like gasoline, so it is different story and I was restarting older engines on at least 7 years old diesel.
Used to have boat with open tank vents. This one would smoke on gas older than a year, so I was keeping the level low and adding fresh gas at starting the season.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I don't have much issues with rodents in my area, we store our skyline and SLK in the garage over the winter with just car covers on and so far so good... but I'm more careful with the e320 cause it's an older vehicle than the others and I plan on keeping it forever so you can't ever be too careful!
OK and you were smart to ask. I can't help much since I don't store my E320 but it stays under a carport always and never goes out when the roads are icy or covered with snow, and especially if there is salt spread around.

The incident I related about mice in the HVAC system when was when my mother had a 2 car heated garage and I was sometimes parking it in there and alternating between driving that Toyota and the Plymouth I own. I did not have the MB at that time.

Good luck with your storage.

·
Registered
1986 190E 16V Cosworth stuipdly SOLD 1999 E300 (daily driver)
232 Posts
Go to ebay and buy a manual on how to store your car.

In case you don't recognize it over 1/2 of the owner's manual for a Porsche covers how to seasonally store the car. Lots of good information in there, and it contradicts much given here.

Namely leave the weight on the suspension, you don't want corrosion on parts not normally exposed, use gas stabilizer in a full tank, do not start, trickle charge battery, pump the tire pressure to the max on the sidewalls. park the tires in a cradle to support more of the tread.

Really buy a Porsche manual on ebay!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts