Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the "Cargo Net", floor and side, for my SLK350.

Thing one: when you order Cargo Net, Side, you get one. The car has two sides, for those of you who may not have noticed. So now I'll have to order another one.

The nets have, to me, a bizarre resemblence to some kind of kinky stretchy lingerie for space aliens. Black, stretchy cord stuff.

Installation is mostly trivial and partly impossible.

Trivial: remove four screws holding little buttons, down by the floor on each side of the trunk, and replace the buttons with provided hooks. One of the locations requires you to use a longer screw.

Impossible: You have to drill holes in the plastic paneling in the trunk, near the lid opening. If you look on the left side, where the light is, the hole goes a couple of inches above and forward of the light.

Mercedes begins by telling you to drill a hole, positioned how many inches from the top left edge of the plastic thing, and how many inches from around the corner into that little indented area to the side of the luggage area. It is as if you are to measure with a flexible tape, instead of saying "two inches below the top and one inch back from the leading edge." That's bizarre.

You are to drill a .24 inch or 6.1 mm hole. This is approximately 15/64 for those of you with actual real world drills. The hole is to be filled with a "pop nut". This is a thing like a pop rivet, except that you expand it by turning a screw into it. The rivet is knurled, and supposedly is going to be a force fit into the hole you drilled, and then expanded as you turn the screw.

As if. The plastic is about an eighth of an inch thick, and there is nothing that is going to keep the pop nut from turning in the hole. Then, if you do get it mounted, the elastic from the space lingerie puts the nut under incredible side pressure. It is a dead cert to pull out in minutes.

I fixed it using a small toggle nut and bolt set from the hardware store. This is a slight problem, becuase there isn't much space behind the hole. There's some kind of stiff foam in there, and maybe even something stronger in some locations. It took some fiddling to get the toggle pushed in far enough to open. After that it was a simple matter of pulling on the hook while turning the screw, to keep the toggle from spinning inside.

So now it's installed. The side net stretches across that recessed area on each side of the trunk, and the net itself hooks on the installed hook up top, two hooks on the floor, and a sort of prong that sticks up under the luggage cover lid. As such, the net does not cover the entire recessed area's bottom, and because it's on hooks, it's spaced out from the recess maybe a half inch. Big things in the recess will be OK. Small ones will leak out.

The net iself is two pieces, like an envelope open at the top. I found it to be just the right size and shape for a quart of oil and a couple of little things.

The other net is also two layers. Its shape is basically rectangular, but much narrower in the middle than at the ends, kind of like the cables on a suspension bridge. It can be installed in two positions. You can fasten its four corners to the four floor hooks, and it lies flat toward the back of the flat part of the trunk. Then you could, I guess, put things in there.

Or, you can fasten it to the rear floor hooks and the two hooks installed with the toggle bolts. Then it sits vertically, about an inch inboard of the back of the trunk. I don't think you could put anything between it and the back of the trunk, but you can stick things down in its envelope slot. Maybe.

My guess right now is that the side nets are nearly worth it, but could be replicated by a sufficiently handy person in some better way, and the floor net is not worth it.

Questions are welcome, of course!

·
Registered
237 Posts
How much did they charge you for the nets? Post a pic or two if you can.

thanks

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The invoice says the floor net was $74.40 list, 48 net, and the side one 62.00 list and 40 net. They charged me the net amount.

(The web site lists them as $40 and $33, respectively. I don't know why it differs, but I recall that the glass windbreaker is also costing people more than the web site suggests.)

I do find that stuff rattles and rolls around back there more than I would like, which was why I ordered the things. I might still order the other side one. But someone could figure out some other scheme, I'd bet.

I'll try to take some pics in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
Ron,
Thanks for the informative post. If you can, I would also like to see pics. It's very difficult to imagine the installation process unless you read this post next to your car. Thanks.
Dan

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
Just a thought.

Are the nets supposed to be factory ordered and fitted.?. that was the impression I got when looking at the MB USA site.
That could explain the work involved?

Thanks for posting . In Singapore they have this rubber mat (very thin) that justs sits and stops things from slippping. it is usually seen on dashboards where the cell phone sits. (And no, i haven't seen what happens at a sudden stop...)

But I might try that on the floor of the car to stop sliding around. (Not much good for that bottle of oil that appears to be a standard accesory for some of us :-(

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Thanks for the informative post...I was considering them, but think I may try some other alternatives...[8D]

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
RonJeffries - 5/11/2005 4:26 PM

(The web site lists them as $40 and $33, respectively. I don't know why it differs, but I recall that the glass windbreaker is also costing people more than the web site suggests.)
It's because of this little note near the top of the Accessories page:

About Accessory Pricing

Actual prices vary by dealer and do not include labor, installation charges or local taxes.

IMO this is a disgusting practice by MB. The area where I live has about 350,000 inhabitants and just one MB dealer, who has an obvious monopoly. They can virtually charge what they want for accessories (like $653 + $50.61 sales tax for the Windblocker) because the next nearest dealership is 65 miles away.

Hey Ron, the accessories (details) blurb for the nets says "Attaches to factory-installed mounting points". As the photos are not of an SLK (a CLK perhaps?) are you sure they've given you the right nets? To me, 'factory-installed' suggests that the attachment points should be in place, and you just have to hook the net onto the stick-out thingies.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Essellkay350 - 5/11/2005 9:57 PM
Hey Ron, the accessories (details) blurb for the nets says "Attaches to factory-installed mounting points". As the photos are not of an SLK (a CLK perhaps?) are you sure they've given you the right nets? To me, 'factory-installed' suggests that the attachment points should be in place, and you just have to hook the net onto the stick-out thingies.
I too saw the "Attaches to factory-installed mounting points" and previously found out they do not exist on our SLK's and instead there is this drilling and screwing in the trunk...makes me lean to other alternatives....[B)]

·
Registered
SLK350 w/AMG SP; 2008 C300
75 Posts
Essellkay350 - 5/11/2005 5:57 PM

RonJeffries - 5/11/2005 4:26 PM

It's because of this little note near the top of the Accessories page:

About Accessory Pricing

Actual prices vary by dealer and do not include labor, installation charges or local taxes.

IMO this is a disgusting practice by MB. The area where I live has about 350,000 inhabitants and just one MB dealer, who has an obvious monopoly. They can virtually charge what they want for accessories (like $653 + $50.61 sales tax for the Windblocker) because the next nearest dealership is 65 miles away.

I have it worse. The next nearest dealer is 3,000 miles away. [:p]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Essellkay350 - 5/11/2005 11:57 PM

The instructions are clearly for the SLK, they show the SLK trunk clearly and where you need to drill the holes. I was a bit disconcerted about needing to drill the holes, and I wound up with an extra hole (measure twice, cut once, but how the heck can you measure around a corner), and the stupid popnut is an idea that I hope doesn't make it into production ...

so it's not the best idea I ever had, nor, I hope the best idea M-B ever had either. I still haven't decided if I'll order the other side one, but I might as well, as I have the hooks all in now. [:)]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Motzkoman - 5/11/2005 12:28 AM

drilling and screwing in the trunk...makes me lean to other alternatives...
Yeah, really! I mean, there's no room in the trunk for that stuff, unless you're really in love ...

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
I have the pocket style one that can be positioned across the boot, either vertical or laying down.

Its only good for small items.

Drilling the holes; although a faf, if you drill the hole exactly to spec, it just works with the screws/hook thing provided and its apperance looks fine.

If you drill teh whole too big or in the wrong place, eek it will be a mess.

My suggestion, if you are handy do it yourself as perfection is probably what drove you to be so handy. If you are not handy the work shop will do a better job than you!

B

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You must be a better driller than I am. I don't see any way that those pop nuts are going to hold, but I'm glad yours are working. My toggles will hold for sure. :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Thanks for the posted pics (and your sense of humor)...[:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Great thread about the woes of installing the nets, which are suppossed to be rather easy (plug and play)

two things....

1- anyone own or look into the slk bag for the trunk? Looks sort of cool although it's a decent penny.

2- park place accessories,, has thisfolding crate box that looks like it might take care of thing rattling around in the trunk, anyone else see it or hear about it?

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Hey UTN
I bought the long zippered storage bag that runs the length of the back of the trunk. It's great and holds all of my detailng equipment. I believe I paid $75 bucks through the dealer. I also bought 2 pieces of luggage. The contoured duffle bag fits perfectly and holds a lot of stuff for trip. The garment bag that you can hang off the back of the seat is very functional as well. I orginally bought the cargo nets described in this thread. But I returned them ASAP as the installation is exactly as described...a pain in the butt. I ended up using the cargo net from my Miata. It runs the length of the plastic tray and just by luck has a clip on each end that I found hangs well off the open slots on each end of the tray. Hangs in the air and moves out of the way when you move the tray back. I use it for micro fiber and paper towels. I can still put my smaller gym bag in the truck without the Miata net (filled w/stuff) getting in the way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts