Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C 230 sedan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question for you experts ot there.

There is a guy in my neighbourhood who knows alot about cars and is selling his benz which has an unusually low odometer reading. One of my neighbours told me that he turned off the odometer on the car a few years ago and just turned it back on recently because he was selling it.

My question to you is can the odometer on a mercedes be switched off and on without anything going wrong on the car? and doesn't the car have some sourt of an iternal memory that will automatically re adjust the correct mileage once the odometer is switched back on

This whole time I thought that the digital dash was a sure way to prevent shady car dealers from messing with the miles!?!?!?!?!?'

Let me know if you know anything about this subject,

thanks

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
For one thing disconnecting the odometer is illegal. As far as causing problems to the car...

For one thing disconnecting the odometer is illegal. As far as causing problems to the car, I think it depends on the model. I'm sure he was unable to use his cruise control in any case. Many components in modern automobiles are now codependent on the speedometer.
I wouldn't want to be one the buying that car nor should anyone else.

·
Always Remembered RIP
520 Posts
I'm pretty sure the digital ones on MB can be fiddled.
I know cases where VW dealers we...

I'm pretty sure the digital ones on MB can be fiddled.
I know cases where VW dealers were driving new cars between dealerships and then reseting the odometers, so I would have thought with the apropriate software a similar thing could be done with MB. I would'nt have thought altering the odometer would have done any specific damage but i'ld like to hazzard a guess that if he stopped the speedo to gain a little money he's also cut back on the servicing costs, so as said i'ld leave alone!

·
Registered
W124 300e
51 Posts
is it is definately illegal, and its bad bad bad. I think turning back the odometer is especially frequent in prestiege car market, cos people generally have the impression that low km's equal a good car, which isnt always true.

will

1 - 5 of 5 Posts