Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only start/sign of any rust I can find on the car. I didn't actually notice the actual rust until I started to see a slight texture in the paint, almost where it looked repainted. Flipped the weatherstrip up a bit and saw this little rust.

What can I do to stop it early? Also, the weather stripping seems to bow in right there a bit. Don't know if that's due to the rust or has been the cause.

I have it washed usually about 3x a week, so want to be proactive before further damage.

As always, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
This is the only start/sign of any rust I can find on the car. I didn't actually notice the actual rust until I started to see a slight texture in the paint, almost where it looked repainted. Flipped the weatherstrip up a bit and saw this little rust.

What can I do to stop it early? Also, the weather stripping seems to bow in right there a bit. Don't know if that's due to the rust or has been the cause.

I have it washed usually about 3x a week, so want to be proactive before further damage.

As always, thanks!
The only real permanent solution is to repaint. I'd cover with grease.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I would call your dealer.

Several years ago, there was a Factory Recall, or whatever you want to call it, to re-seal that area.

Perhaps they could take care of your issue under some sort of goodwill claim, especially if you NEVER received any notification of the TSB ?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Wow, 3x a week. I also wash mine 3x ..... a year. No rust on mine however.:)

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Wasn't the recall for inside bottom of the doors?
POR15 is good protectant, but messy and I think it comes in black only.
I would use rust converter in the area, let is work for few days with reapplication, than clean all the rust build up and touch up with factory paint.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Ditto to G-AMG about going to the dealer. Plus they will check the VMI and I would think any service visits due to factory recalls will be documented. If that doesn't show, I don't know of any way you can prove you were not notified by MB.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Everyone has been so helpful to me on this forum. I'm just trying to return the favor when I can--even though I'm relatively new here. I'm sure one of you or the other experts on here could've done it--but i thought I'd save you the time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is great. Do we just take it to the dealer and ask them to check out the rust? The recall was several years ago, is it still valid? What if you're not the original owner of the vehicle, will they still honor it? Damn, mine is showing some rust too but it just did not bother me much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts