Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 320
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:(!] they only worth $15 bucks, http://www.thecollection.mbusa.com/collection/templates/product.jsp?catId=420&prodID=1328&parentId=40 I am tired of replacing them all the time.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
fortunately i haven't had that problem, but then again i am in indiana and they'd look pretty silly on a tractor [}:)][:0][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
had mine stolen a while back, by a damn 12 year old kid. what use are they to him. I followed him home and his parents had 2 beaten up old Rovers, so i guess they weren't for his dads car !

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Mine and my Mom's on several different occassions were stolen when we were parked at the local hospital. [:(!]

The best laugh was on the last time, some kids came up and tried to sell them back to us!!!!! [}:)]

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
yea this sucks I have lost 2 sets.
My new one's I cranked down with 2 sets of pliers.
Now when you turn the cap it spins the valve stem.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
I thought of drilling a hole through the side of the cap into the top edge of the stem. Then tap a allen screw into the cap so it will lock it into the hole in the stem.

Then I said screw all that and cranked them down.

Not too many kids carry 2 pairs of pliers with them.
lol

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I had my car in for some warranty work which included repairing the finish on one wheel...of course the shop that the dealer sent the wheel to promptly lost my valve cap. At least the dealer gave me a new set of MB AMG ones, but they don't match the ones I had (ebay with Mercedes star) so I have a set of 3 that I have been unable to match. If I ever find a matching set I'll have lots of spares.

Do a search on ebay for "Mercedes valve cap" and you'll get lots of choices.

I also got some AMG ones for $.01 + $4.99 shipping on ebay. They are "Hi- Quality CNC Machined Valve Tire Caps (4 Stems)", I don't know what that is but they feel like a hard plastic. For $5 I decided to give it a try but they don't match the MB AMG ones either so now I have 2 sets of AMG caps that don't match. I suppose if 1 gets stolen I can put one type on the left side and the other type on the right, LOL [:D].

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
That alt tire solution they are working on...... immagin what would happen at 120mph with that tire. yea... total carnage I like the wrench idea tho. Tighten thoes bitches down.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Fortunatly I have not had an issue with the valve stems being liberated. Hopefully I have not jinxed myself.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
430 - 4/1/2005 11:57 AM

Fortunatly I have not had an issue with the valve stems being liberated. Hopefully I have not jinxed myself.
Ditto. But you're the one that said it, so hopefully I'm fine[:D]

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
Better not loose those keys then - I cannot count the number of times people with locking lug nuts have lost their keys and then realized the predicament they are in when they had to change a flat tire [:D]. Nonetheless, I like those caps - they look sleek and stylish. Wouldn't mind getting myself a set but only after I upgrade my brake pads to Porterfields so I don't have to worry about too much brake dust ruining their sheen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts