Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering (if left unlock), can you get a tube down the filler neck of our cars, or is there a plug at the base of the filler neck before it goes into the tank?

On my other car, I was replacing the fuel pump, and noticed that you can't siphon out the gas, because the filler tube has a closed end with small holes at the end. (I was trying to siphon out the gas to reduce the weight in the tank before dropping it.)

Anyway, this topic comes to mind because my gas mileage has been dropping, and on the last fill-up, it was really bad, with no real changes in my driving habits.

A colleague at work was talking about how he was starting to get horrible gas mileage in his truck (not that it was all that great anyways), but it was really bad and he couldn't figure it out.

THEN he caught someone siphoning out fuel out of his truck the other night!!!

So, just wondering, ya know?

I know, I should be locking my car at night, but we live in a really nice neighborhood, and crime is pretty low...but that might be the reason somebody is visiting our neighborhood, to steal gas.

Anyway, I am locking my car, but just wondering how easy it would be to steal gas out of our cars?

One other thing I heard about was people 'piecrcing' tanks to get the fuel out. I think that would be difficult in our cars, unless you had a drill.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
I don't know if you can siphon our 126 tanks or not, but I do know this.....

DRILL!!!???!!! + GAS TANK!!!??? = KAAABBOOOOOMMMM!!!

Please lock your car. I live behind a gate in a good neighborhood too, but I've locked my car every night since I had my stereo and tapedeck and tapes(Cassets) stolen out of my Mazda Rotary Staion wagon way back when it was almost new. Ten feet from my bedroom window. Yep Window was open and I never heard the thief. I heard the door slam when the thief left the car though.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
probably so, or they wouldn't put a lock on the fuel door.

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
There are anti-siphon screens inside the filler neck of our cars, from what I can see on mine at least.

The gas tank is inside the body cavity behind a bulkhead which separates it from the passenger compartment. It would be very difficult tap into the actual tank because it is concealed.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
Sure, you can siphon it out if the filler flap is unlocked. Stealing gas like that was made a crime in Va. way back in the first gas crunch of 1974, and most other states I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
Stealing gas is a crime in any state, obviously.

And yes, you can absolutely syphon the gas out of the tank on the w126...I see the workers at my scrap yard do it all the time when a "new" car comes in.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,097 Posts
Just keep your car alarmed and locked!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts