Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 C240 with a stock stereo and 6 CD Changer. There is a small sub is the back behind the rear left-hand head rest. To the best of my knowledge this is not a Bose system.

I was looking to upgrade my speakers, but know about the fiberoptic cabling can make the switch difficult. A car-audio place told me today it was a waste to upgrade the speakers since the deck wouldn't have enough power and the the wiring would have to be changed in a big way.

I didn't realize it would be such a chore.

Any recommendation on the easiest way to improve the sound of my stereo at a reasonable cost?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dan

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Fiber optics is not an issue in a car without Bose. Many people have updated their spea...

Fiber optics is not an issue in a car without Bose. Many people have updated their speakers while making no other changes. You can add an amp. You would need line level converters since there is no line out on the stock headunit. Some cutting and splicing of wires would be needed.

The stock speakers aren't all that bad. The MB-Alpine headunit is the main problem. The internal amp is weak.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Yes, don't start with the speakers, it's not the problem, it's the cheap Japanese HU. Ma...

Yes, don't start with the speakers, it's not the problem, it's the cheap Japanese HU. Many people get the Becker made unit with the built in CD player from Europe, much better sounding, actually better than the Bose option. More info on my website if you are insterest with links on how to install it.

www.Buellwinkle.com

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
audio 10

I am also looking for the single cd-unit to replace my stock deck...where can i find one...?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Audio 10 CD RDS

SA C-classes came standard with the Audio 10 head unit since 2001.

I've noticed that some tape deck units include a phone key pad. This would have been nice as I have the Nokia phone kit and it's a real drag to open the arm rest every time you want to key in a number.

It sounds way better than the sound system I had in my E46 3-series (especially wrt Bass), but the BMW does have a bigger sound field with the speakers located in the rear window iso the rear doors. The std subwoofer is a nice touch. We unfortunately do not have a Bose upgrade available locally. I would imagine that the centre speaker would make a huge difference.

The head unit does however have a few short comings:
1> You cannot search within a CD track (I really miss this feature - sometimes you just want to hear a certain part of a track again)

2> The tuner (or perhaps aerial?) is noticeably weaker than most of the other cars I've had before (includes '95 Audi 500E, Polo Classic (x2), BMW E36 and E46 all with standard factory radio and antenna)

3> It sometimes gets confused when switching radio channels (especially if you do this fast via steering wheel control). It shows the next radio station's name, but remains tuned to the previous station (corrects itself in about 3 - 5 seconds)

Besides these minor issues, it really is a good head unit. (CD track elapsed/remain times would have been nice [8)])

Does anyone have an idea what RDS output this unit has? It's not in the manual. Is it possible to install a higher output subwoofer without installing additional amps?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Auto Class has new units for $649, www.autoclass.netMost people are buying from Germ...

Auto Class has new units for $649, www.autoclass.net

Most people are buying from German ebay. Many of the units are used, but some are new. It is not as good a value there as it used to be due to the strength of the Euro.

Also see this: http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3170

·
Registered
15 Posts
CD CHANGER

Did you have your CD Changer in when you purchased your vehicle! I purchased one, but it won't play, only eject the cartridge. The Dealer said I had to get the radion prgrammed to recognize the CD changer (USA A SPEC), just doesn't make sense at all to me!

Julius

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts