Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stock audio system with Bose & cd changer, how to replace with existing HU, amp, sub

Hi all,
as a newbie here, let me first say that this forum is fantastic! this is how the internet should work: people with similar interests coming together, discussing those interests and helping each other out in a productive way! great

now, i just bought a '97 E420T Avantgarde model, with a rather "old" stock audio system (cassette), Bose amp and cd changer.
from my current car, i have a Sony cd radio (reads mp3) so i no longer need the changer (10cd's fit as mp3 on one), with amp and Rockford Fosgate sub.
Would you advise changing all the door speakers (tweeters too), replace the Bose Amp, and install the new sub.... or other suggestions?
what to watch out for in terms of wiring, connectivity, etc.
thanks for your feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi all,
as a newbie here, let me first say that this forum is fantastic! this is how the internet should work: people with similar interests coming together, discussing those interests and helping each other out in a productive way! great

now, i just bought a '97 E420T Avantgarde model, with a rather "old" stock audio system (cassette), Bose amp and cd changer.
from my current car, i have a Sony cd radio (reads mp3) so i no longer need the changer (10cd's fit as mp3 on one), with amp and Rockford Fosgate sub.
Would you advise changing all the door speakers (tweeters too), replace the Bose Amp, and install the new sub.... or other suggestions?
what to watch out for in terms of wiring, connectivity, etc.
thanks for your feedback!
You can wire your sony radio to the existing bose system and it will work but you will be limited by the overall sound level and quality. You will need a level adapter to match the output levels from the new radio to the bose system inputs. Additionally you can wire in the subwoofer to the sony as well which will give you a considerable improvement in sound quality ( the older mercedes didnt have much in the way of bass response). but by far replacing the entire system will give you the biggest improvement...

If you have the means I would definately recommend at least replacing the speakers as well... Even inexpensive aftermarket speakers will sound far better than the stock system. I would recommend putting in new front seperates (mids and seperate tweeters) and coaxials in the rear (seperates in the rear are much less important). If you have a 4 channel amplifier you are good to go: run two channels to the sub, the other two to the front speakers and run the rear off of the sony radio internal amplifier. On the old E-class I believe that the bose amp is in the rear fender so all the speaker wires would be running back to that point ( the other possibility is that you have seperate small amps next to the speaker in each door but i dont believe the E class used that format. All the needed wires are behind the factory radio for power and control: you can get a factory harness adapter plug at various online suppliers. other than that its pretty straightforward...

Good Luck with the install...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts