Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
I think that the drains are clogged. Does anyone know where the drains are?? I have this problem too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That nasty smell could be the refrigerant leaking out of your system at the evaporator. The combination of oil and refrigerant is enough to make some people sick.

The drains are located right above the transmission, they drip on the sides of the transmission. They are about 1" diameter and are foam with a wire supporting the inside of the foam hose. They would tear easily if you jambed anything to large up them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ron in sc said:
That nasty smell could be the refrigerant leaking out of your system at the evaporator. The combination of oil and refrigerant is enough to make some people sick.

The drains are located right above the transmission, they drip on the sides of the transmission. They are about 1" diameter and are foam with a wire supporting the inside of the foam hose. They would tear easily if you jambed anything to large up them.
Is hard or $$$$ to fix the leak?

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
Sometimes, it's a dead mouse

Hi Russo,

This has happened to me twice, but not in a Benz. Both times, it was a dead mouse. Taking apart the dash to get the f***er out was a pain. Now, I keep my cat in the garage at night. No mice--just cat footprints all over my car and cat hair on the ragtop, where she sleeps. Good tradeoff.

Cheers!

Dave

·
Registered
1993 300E 3.2 AT
9 Posts
You didn't happen to be driving through Lewiston, Idaho when the aweful smell occured did you? ;) if so then just try a different city that doesn't smell as bad! i would put my money on the mouse, 1 inch drain tube? bet a mouse would find that inviting!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Replacing the evaporator is not techically difficult, however, there are a lot of parts to keep track of. Taking the dash and center console out and putting them back together is like dealing with a puzzle. If you have a dealer or an independent do the job it is expensive.

If you think you have a leaking evaporator, I'll put dye in the system and some oil maybe 1 ounce and see if if leaks out of the evap drain tubes. If you have a leak that allows the freon to leak out in a week or less the dye should be quite visable.

Edited:
A few photos below of a 1990 300D 2.5 turbo. One with everything out and the other with the evaporator box, which contains the evaporator and the heater core, still installed as well as the crash bar and one with the evap box on work bench. If you should need a new evaporator replace all six vacuum elements too.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imon_2nd said:
Hi Russo,

This has happened to me twice, but not in a Benz. Both times, it was a dead mouse. Taking apart the dash to get the f***er out was a pain. Now, I keep my cat in the garage at night. No mice--just cat footprints all over my car and cat hair on the ragtop, where she sleeps. Good tradeoff.

Cheers!

Dave
Hey Dave,
my car is always parked outside so I hope it's not a mouse.But you never know.I have a friend who was on vacation for a month and left his Subaru parked on the streets of Seattle. He came back,started the car- smoke under the hood plus smells really bad.He opens it and discovers at least 15 mice and bunch of s*&t.Plus the f**ers ate all plastic covers and hood pad!I think he was lucky they didn't get to the wires.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ron in sc said:
Replacing the evaporator is not techically difficult, however, there are a lot of parts to keep track of. Taking the dash and center console out and putting them back together is like dealing with a puzzle. If you have a dealer or an independent do the job it is expensive.

If you think you have a leaking evaporator, I'll put dye in the system and some oil maybe 1 ounce and see if if leaks out of the evap drain tubes. If you have a leak that allows the freon to leak out in a week or less the dye should be quite visable.

Edited:
A few photos below of a 1990 300D 2.5 turbo. One with everything out and the other with the evaporator box, which contains the evaporator and the heater core, still installed as well as the crash bar and one with the evap box on work bench. If you should need a new evaporator replace all six vacuum elements too.
MAN!,that's really detailed info!Thanks a lot,now I know who to contact if I have a problem!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheDon04 said:
BG prodcuts has an aerosol spray that eliminates that smell.. you can only buy it through an authorized dealer.. like amsoil.. cept the dealers are big car dealerships and not weird.
www.bgprod.com
So,it looks like you are talking about BG Frigi-Fresh®.How to use it?It looks like they have bunch of other stuff,do you use any other products from this brand?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts