1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W126'ers,

I've been at this for a while, as evidenced by this old thread:
No Low Wiper Speed / Relay B / Promise I already searched - Benzworld.org - Mercedes Benz Discussion Forum

I've bought two combination relays and cleaned out the points in the actual wipers switch on the steering wheel - which I guess I'll do again this weekend.

But, I'm wondering, if the windshield wiper motor works on high, does that mean that it should work on low? Or, should I go the route of the switch/handle on the steering wheel being the culprit?

As you can tell, I'm ready to start throwing parts at this. (Not that buying two of the exact same parts isn't proof enough...)

Thanks for any advice you may have. Even in TX, it rains sometimes.

Jody:surrender:

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Cleaning the points never did it for me..time for a new combi switch.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
My thought is that it is the Combination Switch (The Turn Signal/Wipers) You probably have a bad contact in there.

You have a Gen II so you have an Airbag. To R & R: (Bear with me I am doing this from memory and I have only done it twice)

Use a T-25 to remove the two screws behind the wheel and remove the AB. Disconnect the AB and set aside.
You will need a large 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 10MM Allen in a 1/2" drive with extension.
UNLOCK THE IGNITION!!!!! Or you will break it in the next step.
Have someone brace the wheel and insert the Allen in and apply a lot of force and remove the nut.

IMPORTANT! ! ! !

Center the wheel BEFORE you take it off. Also, you can take a pen and mark an alignment line too.
Remove wheel.
Remove the horn rings.
It helps to remove the lower panels and the instrument cluster. Mine just pops right out so it's no big deal, your situation may vary.

While you are at it, you may decide you want to replace your C/C stalk at the same time. I didn't and it didn't look right and I had to redo it a few weeks later.

Well you have to reach in and disconnect the Molex connector and there are a couple of screw that hold in the Turn stalk, undo those and you are home free.

Of course feel free to look up the procedure and double check.

Let me know if that worked. I would start there.

I replaced mine because the contacts went bad on the low beams. When I did the turn signals, the low beams would go out. Then I had to wiggle it and they would come on. So yeah, I think it is that. I think I paid like $78.00 for mine.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!
FIRST! Before you tackle the job, disconnect the battery(as you should anyway) so you don't accidentally set off the airbag. Then disconnect the red airbag connector near the steering column.
You don't want a big BOOM.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
You don't need to disconnect the batt to remove the AB. You can, but t not really necessary. By the time you get the two screws off and the AB out, it is only one small connector. If you are worried about stray voltage setting off the squibb, it would still be there if you disconnected the batt anyways.

I put up a thread on the R&R of my new wheel and you can see pics (I shot them for you so you could see) of what's under the wheel. The horn contact ring has three small screws. Once you take those three off then you will see how the Turn Stalk is connected.

Any questions PM me.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This forum is just amazing. Thanks so much for the wealth of responses. I'll admit that I'm not the best DIY guy, and this sounds a bit beyond my scope. But, I might get brave and give it a try.

Also, it sounds like I might be able to fix something else at the same time. My steering wheel is always pointed just a little to the left when I'm doing straight down the road. I might try to repair that while I've got the wheel off.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
This forum is just amazing. Thanks so much for the wealth of responses. I'll admit that I'm not the best DIY guy, and this sounds a bit beyond my scope. But, I might get brave and give it a try.

Also, it sounds like I might be able to fix something else at the same time. My steering wheel is always pointed just a little to the left when I'm doing straight down the road. I might try to repair that while I've got the wheel off.

Thanks again.
That is NOT REPAIRABLE. MB Designed it that way, they all are.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. I did not know that. I always thought mine was just cockeyed, the way it's always point to 10 o'clock when I drive straight. Thanks for telling me, McLare. Oh, and thanks for the great write up earlier in this thread. Your advice was so thorough, that I'm considering trying this myself. It sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts