Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to see the 112 for offer and for the most part it was a really good experience !!few probs he met us in the van instead of waiting for me to see to startso i looked past that and continued my investigation !!there were a few more rusty bits than the pics showed but i was still optimistic and even at the first glance i knew his price was being mentally knocked down though very clean it was there was a mild bump on the rear bumper, the rear door dampers were definatly on there last legs and were just holding the rear to be fair that was all i could find on the outside other than a few stone-chips so overall still optimistic but all catalogued none the same ! sat in the van first impression nice place to be bit different but so was my mother in laws cooking but i got used to that !!checked all leccy bits all good dash display plastic had a crack in it, the centre consul was not fitting right, been prised off you see the marks the screwdriver left and it was not put back right! the centre lower consul had a cup holder and cassette bit the whole thing was all loose when i asked the owner he said it came like that !!the drivers arm rest was broken and seat fabric was showing signs of wear 110 thousand miles apparantly should that be worn out by now?more investigation showed me is fih seat which was not fitted in his bank of three dint look that clever and he assured me it went on ok, i had my doubts at best it may have fitted behind the two existing ones so i carried on checked the mags wheels he had all the longer bolts and all looked in good condition ..then he said he had just had a new glow plug fitted ,new anti roll bar bushes and new gas shocks new brakes but was in need of a oil and filter change it also had a new centre exhaust box so that was all sounding right .on driving i had the blowers on all the time NO smells what so ever not a whiff when i thought i did smell something i put it down to the car in front as it disappeared as i gave the car more space,the gear change was tight but once the car was warm it really improved no jumping or out of gear no crunching a little snappy clutch but that may have been me as the longer i drove it the smoother all things became ! the brakes worked well but the handbrake had to be pushed down a little too firmly for my liking he said it probably needed adjusting ?one thing i would like to say i really liked driving this van i felt little unsure round fast bends but there was so much go in it i really was a pig in shit this thing moved it was pulling up until the 7000 rev and there was not a hiccup or lag nothing the tick over i thought was a wee bit lumpy i was again when asking he said its how its always been !! would you have the brakes done and not do the handbrake adjustment ? why was all the dash plastics loose ? why was the seat not fitted and he sowed no enthusiasm to fit it? why was there a crack in the speedo display cover why was the gearbox stiff when cold lumpy tick over? i got underneath and did not think it was too bad but for something that had the rakes recently done the rear discs had an impressive lip on them ...some thing was not adding up with me anyhow i till loved the way it drove and put the little niggles down as things to do and improve upon ,but i certainly was not as advertised as nothing to do but drive i was satisfied the engine worked well and that all the shocks seemed ok and there was no problems there but it sill needed work and a few quid thrown at it so with my ammo i told him i would give him 200 quid less his asking price telling him i would need that money to do the things service seat repair some rustproofing etc he would not have it would not drop a penny so i said show it to your other people who have rang you and see how you get on and i will call you back later, if you still have it mayby we can do a deal so its still up in the air !!!but really what a motor i can see what all the fuss is about i cant wait now to get one any remarks about what i have listed as faults would be appreciated i just knew if i bought it it would be worth less as soon as i drove it away and i would have ended up with a tatty van in a very short time and i dont want a tatty van with a bad interior loose consul etc its all well and good saying tighten this and that but its when you get it home you find out why he never tightened things up then its too late p.s the water level looked low to me too but no smells or goop overall in summary this an was 80-85 % there am i being too fussy?? W:thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the VITO

the vito was a 2000 and he wanted just shy of four grand which was at the top of the price range over here so the van needed to be spot on!!I also felt the seats after 99 were adustable i mean on rails and were the lighter set but i dont think these were able to move up and down the van so i was thinking it may have been a 99 i did not get to see any of the paper work as i new i was not paying what he wanted but was so excited i mean the drive was really good but there were signs of half assedness i asked for receipts he said they were all with his accountant but your selling a van you would have this stuff ready,the third seat in the row of three was not fitted though he assured me it would fit was not fitted when i rang him he said it was all on and sorted ,when i got there oh you can do that at home in 5 mins i said why not do it now cos i aint buying the van without seeing it fitted, few groans of it will fit its all good !nah not for me there was too many little alarm bells ringing he kept on saying this van did not need a penny spent on it and it was ready to go then i found an oil and filter change was due the rear discs were lipped and the more i looked the more money i saw it needed yes the van worked well but driving it away after 5 mins the van would have been worth less than what i paid for it..anyhow he rang me back later all the people he had to view the van didnt turn up and he would change the oil for me,i have not rang back yet but i want the seat fixed the handrake adjusted ,the dash fitted properly the seat fitted,and a service with receipts and old parts befor i entertain another viewing ..am i asking too much?

·
Registered
1999 108CDI
371 Posts
"All the people he had to view the van didn't turn up"... If I were you, I wouldn't turn up again either. You have obviously met a bullshit artist.

·
Registered
Vito 112CDI
147 Posts
4 grand is a bit steep...considering there seems to be quite a bit of work doing. I would'nt pay more than 3 for a 10(+) year old van with probably 100K on the clock...

I would tend to agree with Jimmy.

FUZZ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep i am doing just that

when we first rang the bloke we ere unable to see the van because of commitments on both sides for a week,then near the time of viewing he rang to confirm we were still comming as he has had lot of interest in the van and would need to sort out viewing times i said the same as before we were unable view until the weekend as we did not want to see the van at night for obvious reasons so i also said if someone beats us to it thats just life if you can sell it no harm done ..but the van was still there with him saying oh you rang first so it was only fair..honourable /stupid or lying?It was a lot of money too but for the right one i have always believed you get what you pay for this just needed things doing that i really did not want to do but i would have cos the motor ran really strong i thought i would still get a good van!!any way i walked away really gutted and sooo close to going back and just buying it i wanted it that bad he offered us a ride back to where we left our car but i refused as i knew driving it back would have it it was not until later that evening that i realised i had just dodged a bullet its so hard to make the right decision in that situation but i was glad i held but now he rings us and i would like to make him a really silly offer i mean down right rude but i wont i will continue my search my ideal an is out there just got to find it!thanks to this forum i have made the right choice and learnt lots thanks all:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Have a friend who has a 2003 113 vito with lpg for sale around 3k, it's black(original) electric windows,mirrors, and a/c I used to own it so know the van, give me a pm if your interested

James

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it l/h/d

i am living in poland at the mo so it would have to be l/h/d and am not too sure when i cold view it probably easter ish thats if i dont find one here fist thanks all the same

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still looking #2

found a metallic black 02 112 cdi 100k miles with s/history but only 3 seats in the cab and a bulkhead wall ..the seller said the water pump has literally just been changed and the van is in good nick my question as always is this!! "can the bulkhead wall be removed" i.e unbolted not cutting, and the floor was cover'ed by wood sheeting will there be holes to mount the 3 in a row seats (mercedes original )or will i have to drill drop the fuel tank etc..pther than these little things and the fact he van is 300 miles away and expensive 4k its one of the better ones and it has service history any help is as always invaluable and appreciated i just want a vito 4 months now i have been glued to this computer i need to drive and ride me bikes just in case anyone has a van here is the criteria it has to fill l/h/d 112 cdi,clean, 6 seats, s/h,metallic paint no rust..i know i am asking a lot but i cant help being fussy cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts