Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current option near me is a 1996 C36 with 97K miles on it, for 15,000 dollars.

I have noticed many posts on here involving people selling theirs. So if anyone can do better than my local dealer, that would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1996 C36, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1985 190E 2.3
301 Posts
A little on the high side, see if you can talk him down. I would think that $12 to $13K would be about right.

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4526968806&category=6334

Looks like a much better deal. However it would require a long road trip.

·
Registered
1996 C36, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1985 190E 2.3
301 Posts
If you are seriously considering it, do the following:

1) Hire an outfit like Carchex to take it for a test drive and inspection.

2) Find out if the service records are available.

3) Run it through Carfax.

4) Be suspicious of a dealer who doesn't know enough about the car to know that it has an I6, not a V6.

Personally, I avoided the '97, it was the first year of the electronically controlled five speed. On the other hand, I have not seen reports of head gasket and wiring harness issues that the '95 and '96 appear to have had.

You still might want to take a shot at the $15K car you found. Make'em an offer, assuming it is in great shape, and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one silver with black interior
its a 97 with 97k also
asking $16k
has 18in staggered monoblocks w/ 225/40 and 255/40 continentals II's(1500 miles on tires)
lowered with h&r and bilsteins
amg pedals,pioneer navigation system with indash dvd/cd 7in monitor 7490 and avm 9000r master unit,mb quarts all around,ppi amp,
stealth k40 radar installed front and rear,
illuminating amg door sills,cf door pillars?, flat hood emblem,avantgarde grill,amg burlwood/chrome shiftknob,xenons headlamps w/daytime running lights,clear corners lamps.I have the original radio/cd changer and bose amp.
Waterpump/thermostat and belts were done 3 weeks ago along with a new a/c compressor.Everything works as it should.Interior is mint and the exterior is a 8.5/10

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
I have a 1995 with 61,000 miles, the car is in phenominal condition. Silver wth black leather. asking $15,550. I can send pictures if you are interested. I currently have 3 people that are showing interest in the car, so let me know. I would rather a fellow board member get it as opposed to someone who may not care for it.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
So what is this worth?

In 1997 I bought the actual Indy Pace '95 C36 (Window sticker which I have says imported by MB for INDY PACE). Car is mint with no body damage ever, run only in nice weather and perfect maintenance. K40. with a subwoofer. And get ready for this - it is not a misprint - 18,700 miles. Absolutely gorgeous. Car is run at least once a month and I have no idea what it is worth. Any takers? (Selling because wife wants a G).

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Evan,

It seems like a great deal, I live in the Chicago area. How close are you to there? Also, I am looking way in advance, as I probably wont be able to do much by way of buying it until april or may. If that doesnt work for you, thanks for the offer, but if it does, (or even if it doesnt) i would like to see some pictures.

my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Car sold this afternoon for $16,500.. I love people that get into bidding wars.. the guy who ended up with the car was convinced the car had never been driven..

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats a really good deal, however, the 133k miles makes me nervous.

Does it run like its got that many miles on it, or does it still run really well??

WHatt work has gone in to maintaining it and repairs and such??

Also, how long were you planning on hanging on to it, bucause if I bought one it may not be until april or may.

·
Registered
1995 MB C-36 AMG
4 Posts
Ive got a 95 C36 with 88K; Engine & Tranny are in GREAT shape, I'll let it go for 10K, as is. Its in great shape for a 10 year old car. Selling it to make room, too many damn cars. I'm in Virginia BTW.

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That saounds pretty good.

If its not too much trouble, could you post or email me some pictures, and any other imformation I should know (repairs, options, etc.).

Thanks.

·
Registered
working on it
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, if I could get the VIN so that I can run it through carfax, that would be great.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
53 Posts
stox - 2/15/2005 7:57 PM

If you are seriously considering it, do the following:

1) Hire an outfit like Carchex to take it for a test drive and inspection.

2) Find out if the service records are available.

3) Run it through Carfax.

4) Be suspicious of a dealer who doesn't know enough about the car to know that it has an I6, not a V6.

Personally, I avoided the '97, it was the first year of the electronically controlled five speed. On the other hand, I have not seen reports of head gasket and wiring harness issues that the '95 and '96 appear to have had.

You still might want to take a shot at the $15K car you found. Make'em an offer, assuming it is in great shape, and see what happens.

Actually that's where you're wrong.
The problem with the 5 Speed electronic tranny seems to be with the aggresive programming.

To my knowledge it affect most car with 5 speed electronic tranny from (1997 C36-1999 C43, CLK430, E430 as well).

The 1997 is the quickest and the has all the newer gadget such as Climate control unit, newer steering wheels, Seperated AMG script on the trunk (1995 and 1996 is one unit with black base)

here is the spec for C36 in US

1995 C36
3.6L I-6 DOHC
268 Hp/280lb-ft
4 speed auto
2.82 rear diff

older style steering wheel
older style climate control
number of car imported and sold in US: 444 (although I could sworn that the number used to be 538 or close to that last time I checked on MBUSA website ???

1996 C36
3.6L I-6 DOHC
268 Hp/280lb-ft
4 speed auto
2.82 rear diff

older style steering wheel
newer style climate control
number of car imported and sold in US: 338

1997 C36
3.6L I-6 DOHC
276 Hp/284lb-ft
5 speed auto
3.07 rear diff

newer style steering wheel (same styling as W208 CLK55)
number of car imported and sold in US: 236

1998 C43
4.3L V-8 SOHC
302 Hp/302lb-ft
5 speed auto
3.07 rear diff

Xenon/HID offered as option
number of car imported and sold in US: 579

1999 C43
4.3L V-8 SOHC
302 Hp/302lb-ft
5 speed auto
3.07 rear diff

Xenon/HID offered as option
number of car imported and sold in US: 546

2000 C43
4.3L V-8 SOHC
302 Hp/302lb-ft
5 speed auto (tiptronic : P R N D - +)
3.07 rear diff

Avantgarde grill came standard
Xenon/HID as standard equipment
number of car imported and sold in US: very rare and some says they were only 50 unit sold

PS: If you really looking for C36, I would go with 97.
Also it would help if you could buy it from an enthusiast that really maintain and have all service record history of the car.

Hope this helps.
Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts