Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
'85 300tdt (sold),'64 220b,'63 220Sb ,85 monte carlo ss 406SBC(4 sale),1976 vega wagon(sold)
Discussion Starter #1
I own 25-30 vintage Mercedes and used to use this forum A LOT. Then the ads became crippling to the point my computer would crash if I had a window open with benzworld running(years ago). I now have a small side bussiness selling Mercedes parts so you would think I would be on here alot trying to sell stuff. I'm not. It's so annoying how poorly it operates. Look at this search result and tell me what you see.
Screenshot_20191109-214910_Chrome.jpg

Registered
'85 300tdt (sold),'64 220b,'63 220Sb ,85 monte carlo ss 406SBC(4 sale),1976 vega wagon(sold)
Discussion Starter #2
Pure Comedy. It says I needed to put a title on my post, so I figured it hadn't posted. So I do it again. Double post. Shocker.馃う

Administrator
Mercedes c350
I don't see a double post here. And if you are finding the ads are interfering with the site, we'd like to know. All you should be seeing are banner ads and maybe some native ads if the thread is long enough. No popups or sound.

Kevin

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Well there is surely two almost identical threads started. Not a double post in this one. I couldn't delete the other either. There is currently a banner taking up a 1/4 of the available scrolling screen with my keyboard up. Ads aren't the issue as of now but it does do weird stuff. Tapatalk which I also hate but basically need to use, they (this forim home page and Tapatalk app)fight each other when I click a link my friend sends me, when the forum wins it leaves me at the forum main page not at the link I've clicked on. So I search what was in the link I clicked on. Then the main reason I posted this. The search engine is the biggest steaming pile of $h!+ ever. Look at the picture I posted. I searched the exact same thing as the post name and another post came up first. And trust me it wasn't the first shot. It's a whole bunch of things together that makes me not really come over here anymore. The stuck up full of themselves purist who want to cry about anyone changing a screw on THIER OWN CARS doesn't help either. I'm.glad changes have been made and u are working to improve it but it's not there yet. Oh so I just tried to hit send and the banner ad is in the way of the send button. Lovely

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Are you reading what im saying or is this a robot response?
1. Your search engine sucks.
If I search for something the most closely worded thing should come up first. Considering I searched the exact letter for letter thread title don't you think that the first result should be that thread? Explain to me why if not.
2. If I click on a link that someone sends me in a text message my phone goes to the thread and post on any other sight. On here it goes to the begining of the forums list. That is useless since the search engine is worthless.
3. Bottom ad banner that apears sometimes covers the post reply button.
4. Adminisrator is either a robot or isn't actually reading my post about the sight. It's written above pretty clearly.

CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Imo, even compared to adblock+, uBlock Origin works very well and is the easiest to temp or perm white list a site.

W221 & Audio Moderator
I don't see a double post here. And if you are finding the ads are interfering with the site, we'd like to know. All you should be seeing are banner ads and maybe some native ads if the thread is long enough. No popups or sound.

Kevin
I have had clickbait sites spawn a new full-screen window that required no interaction that was similar to 鈥淵ou are the 50,000th visitor - please select your prize below!鈥 And it listed the usual suspects - $ an Amazon gift card worth $xxx.xx if you agreed to some terms and conditions that were very shady. This has been since the 鈥渘ew鈥 forum front-end launched, and on an up-to-date (actually pre-release iOS 13.3 beta 2) but it has been a few weeks now. I recall the advertising being very intrusive in desktop operating systems from Windows 7 Enterprise x64, 10 Enterprise x64, OS X 10.12-10.14, *nix, etc. before, and this caused me to avoid the site. It has improved very much from my experience but was surprised the shady full-screen advertisement got through.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I have had clickbait sites spawn a new full-screen window that required no interaction that was similar to 鈥淵ou are the 50,000th visitor - please select your prize below!鈥 And it listed the usual suspects - $ an Amazon gift card worth $xxx.xx if you agreed to some terms and conditions that were very shady. This has been since the 鈥渘ew鈥 forum front-end launched, and on an up-to-date (actually pre-release iOS 13.3 beta 2) but it has been a few weeks now. I recall the advertising being very intrusive in desktop operating systems from Windows 7 Enterprise x64, 10 Enterprise x64, OS X 10.12-10.14, *nix, etc. before, and this caused me to avoid the site. It has improved very much from my experience but was surprised the shady full-screen advertisement got through.
Love this one.

Attachments

Administrator
Mercedes c350
Are you reading what im saying or is this a robot response?
1. Your search engine sucks.
If I search for something the most closely worded thing should come up first. Considering I searched the exact letter for letter thread title don't you think that the first result should be that thread? Explain to me why if not.
2. If I click on a link that someone sends me in a text message my phone goes to the thread and post on any other sight. On here it goes to the begining of the forums list. That is useless since the search engine is worthless.
3. Bottom ad banner that apears sometimes covers the post reply button.
4. Adminisrator is either a robot or isn't actually reading my post about the sight. It's written above pretty clearly.
Thanks for the feedback. We're all humans here, but I know that I like to get the most detail information before passing out resolutions, mostly to not lead you down the wrong path when coming up with any resolution.
1) Are you using the "Search the Community" button, or are you utilizing the "Advanced Search Feature. I tend to use the latter as I can even restrict my search by user or where it was posted, Let me know if you need help accessing that area.
2) Let me understand this better, if you receive a link in a conversation or otherwise, they all route you back to the home page? Or is it specifically only the homepage in the URL?
3) The mobile ad lay out is something we can certainly look towards in finding you a resolution for. I hope to have this sorted sooner than later.
4) Beep Boop, feel free to let me know if I missed the mark on resolving any of these for you.

Hey,

When reporting ad issues, the more information you can give us the better we can assist. Screenshots, device, browser, where in the forums you encountered the ad, where the URL redirected you to, if you have any active add ons or anything affecting scripts... all of these help us provide more insight into best creating an ad layout that is not too obtrusive or malicious.

-Gerrit

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
1. It shouldn't matter. I'm using the general search. If I actually write the exact thing I'm searching for, if the search engine is working, that's what pops up first. That is a pretty simple concept.
2. Yes, my friend copied the URL from a thread and texted it to me. It then gets clicked on in my phone and goes to benzworld where it leaves me at the forums homepage. Nowhere near the section or thread I clicked on.
3. I'm curious, where does the ad revenue go? Are you a paid adminisrator that does this for a living, or are there full time benzworld employees or anything?
4. Sound pretty real I suppose but I have been fooled by a couple of those damn robo call recently. They are getting better. Skynet is approaching.

Administrator
Mercedes c350
1. It shouldn't matter. I'm using the general search. If I actually write the exact thing I'm searching for, if the search engine is working, that's what pops up first. That is a pretty simple concept.
It is how search works, we are making improvements to it.

2. Yes, my friend copied the URL from a thread and texted it to me. It then gets clicked on in my phone and goes to benzworld where it leaves me at the forums homepage. Nowhere near the section or thread I clicked on.
So this is cookie based on where you left off. If you want to send your friend a link and want to reference a specific page you can click the post number to get the URL for that particular message. Then you can show them how you did that when they are amazed!

3. I'm curious, where does the ad revenue go? Are you a paid adminisrator that does this for a living, or are there full time benzworld employees or anything?
I would not be privy the exact breakdown of where revenue goes. I have been a full time employee of verticalscope.com, the owners of the site for nearly a decade. Its a real job and I work from our head office in Toronto.

4. Sound pretty real I suppose but I have been fooled by a couple of those damn robo call recently. They are getting better. Skynet is approaching.
We are indeed real people.
Spoiler alert, Skynet is not Skynet anymore its Legion

-Philip

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
What a joke. Look at the search results from a copy and paste of this thread.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts