Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 e320 has a very firm/stiff feel when braking. It brakes just fine, pads are good. I am used to my Honda and Suburban where the pedal is nice and soft as it is well assisted by the power brake mechanism. With the benz it seems almost as if there is no or little power assist.
This is my first benz and the previous owner stated they all have this type of feel and that if I searched forums I would see that. I have yet to find anyone with that issue. Again, it brakes fine, just takes a moderate amount of effort vs. my other vehicles. Good thing is my right leg is getting huge from the workout. Looks odd though.

·
Registered
2001 430T 4Matic, 1999 735iA
335 Posts
thats called a "defined" brake :D Mine isn´t soft, and I wouldn´t drive a car that has a "soft" brake, without checking the brakefluid first.

In a benz, audi, bmw, or almost any european car, the brake pedal hits a spot thats quit hard. and the braking power is defined by the pressure you apply, not the travel of the pedal. If the pedal feels soft, you probably have a american car, or air in the brakelines, or very old brakefluid. The "hard" pedal feal is common on (most..) european cars. But there are brakes that have a linear braking pedal, where you don´t notice the pressure, but those are not very common.

As long as you get a noticable speed decline, with pressing your big toe, then your brakes are probably as they should be. if you have to stomp on them to achive at least something, then you should have your car towed to the shop. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts