Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out my friends 1997 e420 and his brake pedal was stiffer than normal after he got his tranny fixed any one know what could cause this??

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
sorry spadwaller for the above, couldn't resist:D.
by stiffer you mean it stops fine like before but the pedal is harder to push, kind of having more sensitive brakes? or it doesn't stop as good as it did when pedal was softer? as far as i know transmission work should not affect brake pedal feel, but air in the system or bad master cylinder will make the pedal soft, and proper bleeding and removing air from the lines will make the pedal harder. all mb's i have ever driven have had harder brake pedal (more sensitive) than most of american or japanese cars which usually have a softer pedal feel.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Or somebody could have damaged the vacuum tube to the brake booster while loosening the transmission to engine bolts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I can think of a few possibilities...all of which end with "return the car to the place that did the transmission work."

Seriously. It's a potential safety issue, speak to the owner/manager if necessary, help him/her understand they will be liable or the ensuing accident.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can think of a few possibilities...all of which end with "return the car to the place that did the transmission work."

Seriously. It's a potential safety issue, speak to the owner/manager if necessary, help him/her understand they will be liable or the ensuing accident.
My friend is totally non-confrontational so him anouncing to anyone about this would be out of character.

Tirona said:
It stops fine like before but the pedal is harder to push, kind of having more sensitive brakes?
Thats a better description of thats going on. anyone?

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Quick Test:

With Engine OFF, pump the brakes several times, til it feels "hard"

With foot STILL pressing hard down on the brake, Start the car.

If the vacuum assist/brake booster is working correctly, you should feel the pedal "soften", and compress more than with engine off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts