Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sticky (tacky) buttons on my 210 E55 steering wheel. I have searched the forums and found one guy that got his problem fixed with a product called mountain shine final detail #2. He said that the lady at the dealership sprayed it on the buttons and told him not to touch them for a few days. He (musicmann) said after a few days they looked brand new. I called this company and unfortunately they are a distributor and can only sell case quantities of this "miracle" product. Does anyone have a "miracle" of thier own that they are willing to share? I don't want to drop 300 bucks on new buttons if I can avoid it. I know that this is a fairly common problem so it goes to reason the solution should be fairly common as well? Any help for this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Brian

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon, I know someone has dealt with this before? Or does everyone just not talk about thier sticky buttons? LOL:confused: Thanks in advance for any viable solution. Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
I hope you find the solution. i think this should be a recall from MB as much money as we spend on these cars. I've had Chevrolets that held up better.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
6,905 Posts
I hope you find the solution. i think this should be a recall from MB as much money as we spend on these cars. I've had Chevrolets that held up better.
I totally agree but I doubt if they are going to do that since it's not a safety issue.

-JOE55

·
Registered
236 Posts
The plastic volume radio button on my 1999 E55 AMG has melted too! Luckily, that part of the radio can be taken out individually without disconnecting the whole head unit. I used some modelling acrylic thinner to remove the mess, then mask the other areas and use a can of matt black spray paint to respray it. It looks similar to the other parts of the radio.

Cheers,
Adam

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW, Thanks for all of the input! I used the pen method to remove the initial build up of gunk. Then I finished the build-up removal with goo gone. Finally, I sealed it with Eagle One Nano protectant. Looks brand new!! Glad I didn't drop 200 bucks for new buttons. It took roughly an hour but the results are unbelivable. Judge for yourself. Brian C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.BRIANSCOMPUTER\My Documents\My Pictures\2008-03-02, Benz steering wheel
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.BRIANSCOMPUTER\My Documents\My Pictures\2008-03-02, Benz steering wheelC:\Documents and Settings\Owner.BRIANSCOMPUTER\My Documents\My Pictures\2008-03-02, Benz steering wheelC:\Documents and Settings\Owner.BRIANSCOMPUTER\My Documents\My Pictures\2008-03-02, Benz steering wheel

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A few more! Sheesh, posting these pictures was more labor intensive than actually cleaning the buttons.:D left picture before, the right picture is after

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
A few more! Sheesh, posting these pictures was more labor intensive than actually cleaning the buttons.:D left picture before, the right picture is after
Nice work, Heretic. That is a hilarious comment on posting pics...and one with which I tend to agree. ;)

I take it you followed the steps from the link Joe55 provided?

Take care and enjoy the cleaned-up ride!
Greg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Gregs! yeah the link joe55 provided definately helped. The whole process took a little while (hour or so) but was well worth the effort. I still can't believe how great they look without all of that gunk caked up. I guess it was some sort of "soft touch" coating. Apparently it was'nt as durable as MB thought it was. Once it starts to break down it looks horrible. The good part is that once the coating is removed there is a shiny new button underneath! Thanks for all of the input and info anyone has provided. Brian

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used goo gone. I'm sure it has some chemicals in it that probabally are not good for the surface. But I have seen no adverse effects. It's about a month later and they still look brand new!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys , HELP, I am in Australia and have the same problem with the sticky buttons but the Benz Agent does not think there is a problem. What is the cure , please.Help. The other problem I have is the air mixture unit which has been replaced twice and it seems not to work properly again when the car is cold. it kind of stutters. I don't know. The latest yesterday is that one of the light bulbs in the instrument clusters is gon, the car is a 2000 model with 40 odd K miles on the clock. may be Jap cars are better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sticky buttons solution

I tried a bunch of stuff. The only thing I found to work was SHOUT stick from the laundry aisle. Just rub it all over the button, let sit, and VOILA it took it off. Took about 3 applications but finally like new.

Do NOT use acetone. Unfortunately I tried that before I used SHOUT and it ate some of the paint. Also tried goo gone, that didn't work for me.

GOod luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tnx guys, just did it
it took me half an hour for the fist 1/4 then i got the technique and finished everything in 1 hour and a half
i only used alcohol at the end

1 - 20 of 33 Posts