Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried almost everything to try and get that sticky film that appears on the switches after several years of use. Can anyone suggest the best thing to get this off without wrecking the switch itself?

·
Registered
2007 B200 turbo
1 Posts
Rustoleum has a product called Krud Kutter. I used it on my B200 steering wheel buttons 2 weeks ago.
Spray onto a cloth & rub onto the buttons. Takes a few applcations, but works.

·
Registered
2016 S550c4 Coupe, 2005 SL500
46 Posts
Sticky mess on switches. I have tried almost everything to try and get that sticky film that appears on the switches after several years of use.
Hi. The sticky switch syndrome happens to many different high-end European cars including Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes. Apparently the type of plastic or coating used deteriorates after several years and becomes sticky.

Many have said that the only real solution is to replace the switches, which can get expensive. I had it on several of the switches in my CL500 and some products helped but did not completely eliminate the problem.

There is a lot about it on line if you do a search on "sticky automobile switches" you will find many entries and products.

·
Registered
1995 CLK 350
10 Posts
I cleaned up the center vent surround on my CLK with Mothers cleaner wax. It did take a while but did a nice job and didn't harm the white lettering.

·
Registered
2006 SL 600
5 Posts
As I wrote earlier, I had that problem on the Hazard button and did clean it with product used on garden plastic furniture.
After the fourth cleaning it was back to as new item without any damaged and stayed as so since one year.

Albert

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the best thing for these sticky switches -'Simple Green BBQ cleaner' - work like a dream to remove this crap on switches. Just rub with a clean microfibre cloth and off it comes without any damage to the lettering. Have used it on other surfaces as well with great results. The secret ingredient is citric acid (lemon juice). I am pretty sure Simple Green is a worldwide product. Found this idea on the net, so not my discovery.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
632 Posts
I wonder if it's a result of oily fingerprints reacting with the plastic or mold that develops and breaks down the top layer? Especially if you were able to clean it back to as new condition, then maybe no actual factory material on the controls was removed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts