Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well having spent a fortune buying my latest G i'm now beginning to discover all it's gremlins, holes and faults. [:(!]

Currently the most annoying of which is the wiper motors. Basically when they are switched on they don't work, i have to get out and move the arms manually to get them to start up. The passenger side one seems worse and is lying very low on the screen when stopped. I've cleaned the electrical contacts to the relay a couple of times and this seems to sort it for a day or so then the same thing happens again. What do you guys think, is it going to be cheap and easy (moving the wiper arms round on the motor spline so it's not resting on the windscreen rubber) some price and some work (replacing the motor relay) or costly and tricky ( replacing the whole wiper motor)?

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Sounds like you've got maybe more than one issue.

.....Currently the most annoying of which is the wiper motors....
There's only one motor for the for the pair of front windscreen wipers. Or are you talking about a rear wiper too? Most of your other stuff seems to be surrounding front wipers so we'll start there. One wiper motor.

.....Basically when they are switched on they don't work, i have to get out and move the arms manually to get them to start up. The passenger side one seems worse and is lying very low on the screen when stopped.....
Hmm... You shouldn't be able to move the wipers much at all (through their normal arc of travel) with the motor switched off. If you can, then it's likely some portion of the linkage is worn out. The main culprit is usually the bushings where the wiper shafts go through the cowl. The propblem could also be in the parking mechanism inside the motor though, so here's how you tell the difference.

If you look up inside the left side (driver in the USA) footwell, way up high you should see the wiper motor's shaft sticking through the bulkhead with about a 2" long flat bar of metal bolted to the motor shaft and the wiper motion mechanism attached to the other end of that bar. Remove the nut attaching the bar to the motor shaft, and pull the bar off the shaft, then try to start and stop your wipers a few times. If you can see the motor shaft turn when you start the wipers, and stop when you stop them, and it's very reliable, then it's a cinch that there's too much resistance in the mechanism for the motor to overcome so it can't get started. If the motor alone doesn't start and stop reliably, then the problem is either within the motor, or in the elecrical system. In order to daignose that part you have to wait for teh next no-start, then remove the plug from the motor and check for proper voltages there. If you find them, and teh motor doesn't run, then you need to replace the motor. It's not hard. After pulling the arm above, it's just 3 bolts easily accessible under the hood to remove the motor. R&R about a 40 minute job. If there's no power to the motor during your no-start conditions, then look into the relay or the stalk switch. But there's a lot of ground to cover between there and where you are now.

And yes, you can adjust the wipers to stay on the glass by just prying up the base end of the wiper arm to disclose the nut beneath the cover that holds the wiper arm on the shaft. Remove the nut and then pull the arm off the splined shaft. At this point you'll also have a chance to check the shafts to see if they're a good fitin their bushings or if the bushings are worn out. Getting water in the footwells when it rains is also a good sign that wiper shaft bushings are worn out.

Some info on wipers here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1180636&posts=19&hl=wiper

-Dave G.

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
Since we're on this subject, how hard is it to swap out those darn bushings? I have the water on the floor after it rains blues. It is a good thing I live in drought swept Alberta.

Steve

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
sjtymko - 5/9/2005 8:08 PM

Since we're on this subject, how hard is it to swap out those darn bushings? I have the water on the floor after it rains blues. It is a good thing I live in drought swept Alberta.

Steve
Have you tried replacing the caps over the spindle? Non-cracked caps can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Agree with what Dutch said, good caps that are packed with waterproof grease could get you by a long time.

That said, I think I spent about a half a day (maybe 4 hours) replacing mine, and that included having to split the nut on one of them that was rusted up solid, as well as the mods to the new shafts as detailed in previous link.

It all depends on what you find when you dig into it, but I'd say my experieince was probably on the "long" side as I'd let mine go a long time before getting after them.

I have to say, I should have done it earlier. Ever since the fix with mods, the wipers are absolutely smooth and silent in operation. Before they clunked and squeaked and made all kind of racket, besides not really clearing the screen very well. Now they just wag back and forth like they should.

Go for it.

Do follow up on other posts though regarding part numbers on the shaft assemblies. I think I remember someone ordering from Europa and getting two of the same crank instead of one single (passenger) and one double (driver) crank.

All the best,

-Dave G.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Hipine - 5/10/2005 6:04 PM
------------------------------------------------------
Do follow up on other posts though regarding part numbers on the shaft assemblies. I think I remember someone ordering from Europa and getting two of the same crank instead of one single (passenger) and one double (driver) crank.
------------------------------------------------------

I think Europa would be in trouble with this, it's a right hand drive G. And thats a whole different ball of wax.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
My reply was to Steve. I thought his was LHD....But no matter, still need one of each type of crank, not two of same....unless I'm missing something.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice Dave, i'll check it out this weekend and let you know what i find.

Sounds like you've got maybe more than one issue.
Not directly related to this one, just a few things that have taken the shine off, discovering the hole in the roof that wasn't sposed to be there 2 mins before a downpour for one [xx(]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, did a few tests as Dave suggested and it turns out that it's the wiper shaft itself that's shot. Motor and electrics seems fine but the passenger wiper shaft has about an 1/8th of a turns play in it. The sticking was it getting wedged in the rubber windscreen seal.

Luckily someone from this board blind emailed me with details of a complete set currently for sale on US ebay. I'm assuming these will be for a LHD truck, if so does anyone know if parts the same as on RHD??

·
Registered
280 ges 1989
321 Posts
I changed my wiper bearings and had problems with the wrong parts being supplied by the Mercedes parts store. http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1178883&posts=4&hl=wiper
This should explain things.
There is, I think no difference in parts ( the bearings that is) LHD or RHD they are just fitted the other way round – left/right right/left
My truck was fitted with 2 of the ones with 2 connections when I got it but you should have one of each. The EPC is only showing a LHD setup which was what Mercedes could not understand and supplied the wrong one. Of course if I had replaced both – which would have been more sensible there would have been no problem
Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts