Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have moved my spare wheel to the ground as it is in perfect shape and traded one wheel from the ground. The wheel has a sticker which says "Do not exceed 50 MPH" What is the purpose for this? The spare is full size.

I am in the process of removing the sticker.

·
W124 Moderator
12,584 Posts
I have moved my spare wheel to the ground as it is in perfect shape and traded one wheel from the ground. The wheel has a sticker which says "Do not exceed 50 MPH" What is the purpose for this? The spare is full size.

I am in the process of removing the sticker.
Most likely the speed rating on the spare tire dictates what the sticker says.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think I just figured it out. The wheel came from my S500 which had the AMG 18 in wheels. The spare is a 16 inch so I think the spare would be an odd ball and really create problems at speed.

I finally got the yellow 2 inch diameter sticker off the wheel. Hair dryer was used to heat it up and it peeled right off. Used some drip-strip to get the glue residue off. Bug n tar remover, WD-40 or Mineral spirits did not touch it. Hopefully the drip-strip did not hurt the finish. Internet suggested Goo B Gone, but I did not have any.

Ursula is just about ready for cars-n-coffee this coming Saturday at the Amelia Concours.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine has no such marking but giving you 16" spare when the car come factory on 18" wheels is stupid given what you are paying for the car. Your journey is instantly compromised if you get a flat given the 16" is basically an upgraded space saver wheel if you are on 18's.

I put it down to another Mercedes engineering failure, this time in the tyre well design.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has no such marking but giving you 16" spare when the car come factory on 18" wheels is stupid given what you are paying for the car. Your journey is instantly compromised if you get a flat given the 16" is basically an upgraded space saver wheel if you are on 18's.

I put it down to another Mercedes engineering failure, this time in the tyre well design.
I guess it saved on sale price. $300 (?) Standard wheel vs $900 AMG wheel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I guess it saved on sale price. $300 (?) Standard wheel vs $900 AMG wheel.
As above im sure it was poor design from the engineering dept rather than cost as you can't fit a 18" wheel in the wheel well, they couldn't make it bigger in the current position as it would hit the subframe, but you still have have to lower the subframe to the floor to do diff mounts because there is no room to remove the bushings due of the wheel well.

·
1,600 Posts
Wouldn't the overall wheel/tire diameter be equal on the 16"/18" combinations?

16" is a smaller rim but taller tire profile, 18" is a bigger rim but slimmer profile -- wouldn't they have to equate, otherwise the speedo would need adjustment too?

I would think an 18" spare would fit the trunk fine... no?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Thom_7
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing