Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed that my steering has an inch or so of free play in the straight ahead position, aparently it can be tightend up on the sreering box, anyone done it? any pointers would be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
If it is really a steering gear box free play (check all the joints first!!!) then it can be adjusted by the screw at the top of the gear box. You loosen the nut and then turn the screw clockwise to loosen and counter-clockwise to tighten. Do NOT tighten it more than 1/4 turn at the time, and do NOT tighten it too much. You DO want some minimal free play and the steering wheel must return to the center position when driving. You must not feel any bumps when steering and it should still feel light. Hold the screw when tightening the nut or it will loosen again. Also a good time to change your steering fluid and filter...

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
are you sure about that adjustment direction? on any other car i have ever adjusted, its CW to mesh the gear closer. IE, less play.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by check joints, do you mean trackrod ends ect or steering coloum joints?

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
all steering joints, pitman arm on the gear box, transverse arm joints... have it all checked before you start adjusting the gear box

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2004 Cad. Escalade
61 Posts
The adjustment procedure in the second post is correct, however it's hard to do in car, because of leverage advantage of the steering wheel. How did you measure the play? The MBZ procedure requires too much judgement to be accurtate. My name is Chris Brown I own C & M Hydraulics all we do is remanufacture MBZ power steering gearboxes, p/s pumps, and air (smog) pumps with electro-magnetic clutches. We deal only with the larger parts dist.. Most of the online dist. can get our parts if you ask. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. 702.734.8090

Chris

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Hi Chris :) not planning a trip to Prague yet? :) I'm still thinking whether my problem is in the steering gear box or not... so far replaced everything else :)

Well it's safe to adjust as long as you leave a little free play and it moves freely.

There is actually a second manual for adjustment in vehicle - maybe your local workshop will have a NM-meter?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts