Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 S500 coupe
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I am redoing my stereo sys in the car (88 300CE)

I have ripped my deck and speakers out, and all 4 (dash and rear) speakers are 4" ... Front cannot accomodate 4" speakers with built in tweeter due to clearance issues with the cover, but rear ones have no limitations since cover sits fairly high on top of the speakers

I took off my back seat only to realize the rear was fully enlosed and that I had my gas tank behind the rear seat.

Q1) how do I run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amp in the trunk? (I cant find any openings in the firewall into the cabin)

Q2) whats the best way to run the speaker wires from the amp in the trunk to the front speakers? (I do not wish to use factory wiring)

Please let me know, I am driving with half of my car ripped apart and no sound in the car

·
Registered
1988 300ce
70 Posts
snik - 2/13/2005 2:39 AM

hi everyone,

I am redoing my stereo sys in the car (88 300CE)

I have ripped my deck and speakers out, and all 4 (dash and rear) speakers are 4" ... Front cannot accomodate 4" speakers with built in tweeter due to clearance issues with the cover, but rear ones have no limitations since cover sits fairly high on top of the speakers

I took off my back seat only to realize the rear was fully enlosed and that I had my gas tank behind the rear seat.

Q1) how do I run a 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amp in the trunk? (I cant find any openings in the firewall into the cabin)
I just ran my wires a few months ago in my 88CE so I'll help you out.

There is a rubber grommet under the battery that is perfect for running the wire into the cabin. look under the dash inside the car and the wire will be in the vent.

From there all you have to do is remove the kick panel, door sill and you can run the wire under the carpet. Remove the seat belt bolts and the side panel in the rear. you should also pull the rear seat. If you do this you will see that running the wire is quite easy. I used a coat hanger to pull the wire into the trunk. The wire has to be run beside the gas tank. Take the panel in the trunk off it will make things much more clear.

Q2) whats the best way to run the speaker wires from the amp in the trunk to the front speakers? (I do not wish to use factory wiring)

Please let me know, I am driving with half of my car ripped apart and no sound in the car

Just run them the same way as the power wire. If you are running the signal wire, you might want to run them on the other side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
That is exactly how I ran the 4 gauge wire in my w126. And I see you didn't try to take the shortcut like Circuit City did on mine when they installed it and run on the outside of the drivers seat, so you see a bulge in the carpet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts