Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the C-class head unit use fiber optic to the external amplifier? <br>Or is it standard RCA jacks? <p>Those in the SLK group mentioned that the connections between the head unit and amp do not use fiber optic cables, however, "Frank" mentioned that the connection to the external amp does in fact use fiber optic cables.<br>I know the connections to the CD changer and steering wheel controls are fiber optic. <br>If the connections to the amp are also fiber optic, I will have to take out the entire stereo system to install my own amps and speakers (and lose the steering wheel controls)... unless there is some type of adaptor.<p>Reply by Frank:<br> * No RCA jacks. The amp should be located at the left side of the trunk. It's a mix of fiber optic<br> cables and speaker wires. You can however tap to the speaker wires and use a high-low converter<br> and the like as this is the only portion that's not fiber optic.<p>Thanks!<br>John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Unless the new C-class is different than other M-Bs...

the inputs from the head unit to the amplifier are not fiber optic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they RCA preamp or high-level outputs from head unit to amp?

Are the outputs from the head unit to the amp PREAMP RCA jacks or high-level speaker-wire connections?<br>If they are RCA-preamp then I can keep the head unit and simply swap out the amp and speakers. <br>Thanks!<br>John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure, but I think they're high-level (more)

If the head unit is manufactured by Becker, then they would know about the outputs. There is a discussion forum at the becker website at http://www.beckerautosound.com<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! ...

I think you're right. But if the head unit has high level outputs and also has internal amplification, this will add too much distortion even with the external amp.<p><br>: If the head unit is manufactured by Becker, then they would know about the outputs. There is a discussion forum at the becker website at http://www.beckerautosound.com<p><p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts